Monday, July 23, 2012

First/Last-Sons of an Illustrious Father

Photo courtesy Stef Mitchell

Monday, July 23, 2012
Polish Hill

"Sons of an Illustrious Father is a four-piece folk/blues/americana/country -inspired rock band from New York that may at a given moment consist of any combination of quadrophonic vocals, banjo, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, upright bass, violin, organ, accordion, and drums.
Sweet enough to make Tom Waits cry, mean enough to beat up CSNY."

The 'heavy meadow' band hits Pittsburgh tonight at the Lile Coffee*Shop in Polish Hill. My thanks to Lilah Larson (Vocals/Guitars/Banjo) for participating in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
The first two albums I ever bought I bought together, both on cassette, were Springsteen’s  “Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ” and R.E.M.’s “Green”. I think my taste really degenerated from that point.

Your last album bought?
The deluxe edition of Patti Smith’s new album, “Banga”.

Favorite album of all time?
There are many, many albums contending for the number one spot, but for starters, the Band’s brown album, Nirvana’s “In Utero”, Lou Reed’s “Transformer”, Jeff Buckley “Live at Sin-e”, and still those first two that I bought.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I’ve never really thought about that. In the interest of not being too mean to anyone else, I’ll just say our first album. It’s like your good friend who you hate because you know them too well and they know too much about you.

First concert attended?
Blink 182 and Green Day. As I said, my taste degenerated.

Last concert?
Bonnie Raitt with my mother. It was awesome.

Favorite concert ever?
Every time I’ve seen Patti Smith.

Least favorite concert?
Blink 182 and Green Day.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I have many a wild memory of Pittsburgh from when our drummer Ezra was shooting ‘The Perks of Being a Wallflower’, but by far the most notable was breaking into the Mattress Factory after it was closed. I highly recommend doing that.

Thanks, Lilah. Gotta keep an eye on trespassers. Still sounds fun though.

No comments: