Monday, July 9, 2012

First/Last-Garrison Starr

Photo courtesy Aaron Redfield

Wednesday July 11, 2012
Southside

“can we get a copy of your bio for our blah, blah, blah?”
do you know how many times i’ve been asked this question in my career? too damn many. and every time, somebody writes a bio that nobody gives two shits about because who really cares, right? well, here’s my bio as i see it now.
i started out in this business when i was about 15 in hernando, ms. i played clubs in memphis in high school, started touring in college and got signed to geffen records in 1996 at 21. since that time, i’ve been signed to 2 other record labels and have been touring consistently in all kinds of capacities, sometimes thriving, sometimes failing miserably and wanting to quit this business and crawl in a hole. i’ve been disillusioned, bitter, beat up and to hell and back in my career, but i’ve never lost faith in music. how it heals me all the time. and what it means to all sorts of people."

I have seen Garrison a couple of times in Pittsburgh. She returns this Wednesday at Club Cafe touring in support of her latest album, "Amateur", sharing a bill with Maia Sharp. My sincere thanks to her for participating in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
“Different Light” by The Bangles on vinyl! But I lost it.

Your last album bought?
Matthew Mayfield, “A Banquet For Ghosts”.

Favorite album of all time?
Too tough to call that one. At this point, I have more favorite songs than records. However, here are a couple: "Blue", Joni Mitchell. "Starfish", The Church. "Rumours", Fleetwood mac. "Hard Promises", Tom Petty. "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix", Phoenix.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Whatever that Jett record was that had the great single on it but all the other songs were crap. I’m sure I wasn't that disappointed, but I did buy the record and that's the first thing that came to my mind for whatever reason.

First concert attended?
Debbie Gibson, Mud Island Amphitheater in Memphis. Gross.

Last concert?
I hate to say I can't even remember!!! I gotta get out more.

Favorite concert ever?
I saw Jeff Buckley in Memphis shortly before he died with about 20 people at a club called "Barristers". Pretty badass.

Least favorite concert?
Debbie Gibson.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I love Pittsburgh. I have some of my earliest tour memories from there. We used to stay at the Days Inn on Banksville Road with the Indian restaurant in it. There was a great lady whose name is escaping me who used to take excellent care of us. That Indian food is what kept us going back there. Every time you left the damn place, you smelled like Indian food for a month. WYEP and the Club Cafe have always been good friends to me. I always look forward to coming back.

Thanks, Garrison. Believe me when I say you have always been good to WYEP and Club Cafe as well!

1 comment:

sparbanie said...

As a former Pittsburgher, I've witnessed numerous G-Starr shows over the years there. Last month she performed an awesome house concert here in Arizona. She was in great spirits, great voice, and the new songs are amazing. Have fun at Club Cafe!