Tuesday, September 2, 2014

First/Last-KC Stangl


KC Stangl is a Pittsburgh musician who begins a Kickstarter campaign today to raise funds to produce a movie dedicated to documenting the flourishing open mic scene in Pittsburgh. Appropriately titled 'Open Mics, Open Hearts', the trailer features some of my favorite songwriters around including Morgan Erina, Chet Vincent and Jasmine Tate. Help support Pittsburgh music as I thank KC for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
“A Hard Day's Night” The Beatles (1964).

Your last album bought?
If you mean vinyl, probably “Rumours” Fleetwood Mac (late 70's).
Last iTunes download: People, “Hell and Angels” Jimi Hendrix.

Favorite album of all time?
The Allman Bros. Band “Live at Fillmore East”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
“Metal Machine Music” Lou Reed.

First concert attended?
Artur Rubinstein, 1970, PSU. First Rock Concert: Quicksilver Messenger Service ,1973, Tucson.

Last concert?
Joe Bonamassa, 2014, Pittsburgh.

Favorite concert ever?
Santana, Philadelphia, 1979.

Least favorite concert?
Blondie, southern Maryland, 2012.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Pittsburgh was a totally unknown city to me when I moved here, and I soon discovered a wealth of music. I moved here for love at the end of 2012, and my partner, (now wife), took me to see Joe Grushecky at the Altar Bar in the first month, and it was fantastic! While I spend most of my entertainment time attending local open mics, (which, to me, is like going to a concert, only smaller) we spent last summer hitting every concert in the park we could find (First Fridays at Frick, Reservoir of Jazz, etc.). While I missed it this year, last year's R.A.N.T. in Lawrenceville was a blast. It's a beautiful city, which I didn't expect, and the people are so nice, so in my 18+ months here, I am very happy to call it home, except during polar vortexes.


Thanks, Kevin. So excited to see others document the amazing scene we have going on here now. I really do hope this materializes!

No comments: