Thursday, December 13, 2012

First/Last-Kevin Devine

Sunday, February 17, 2013
Millvale

"The second collaboration between singer/songwriter Kevin Devine and Andy Hull of Manchester Orchestra, Bad Books II finds these two extraordinary tunesmiths untethered from their respective brands, joining forces to reach new stylistic and emotional terrain. Accompanied by members of Manchester Orchestra – with guitarist Robert McDowell also producing and keyboardist/percussionist Chris Freeman once again supplying distinctive album art – Hull and Devine offer up a series of magnificently etched songs which light upon everything from anthemic stadium rock (“The After Party”) and reflective balladry (“42”) to energetic bubblegum (“No Sides”), gloriously baroque psychedelia (“Petite Mort”), and whistling big beat pop (“Forest Whitaker”). The real-time sound of a group of talented friends synthesizing into something altogether more cohesive and accessible, Bad Books II reveals a remarkable new band in the truest sense, emboldened and at ease enough to set out together for places unknown."
 
You can find Bad Books on Facebook and Twitter and stream the appropriately titled second album "II". This early warning show announcement came just today and it so happens I never heard of this collaboration/album until readying this post. I have been a huge Kevin Devine fan for a few years now and methinks this will be a killer show. My thanks to him for taking a few minutes to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
I think "Appetite For Destruction" is the first I ever myself purchased.

Your last album bought?
I think "Among The Leaves" by Sun Kil Moon.

Favorite album of all time?
Impossible question, I bet I've answered "In Utero" by Nirvana most frequently but it honestly changes all the time.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Equally impossible...No idea off the top of my head, maybe the Weezer album after "Pinkerton" or "The Spaghetti Incident" by Guns N' Roses.

First concert attended?
R.E.M./Grant Lee Buffalo, Nassau Coliseum, 1994.

Last concert?
Maybe Jay-Z at the grand opening of the Barclays Center in September.

Favorite concert ever?
That R.E.M. show was pretty sweet...Elliott Smith at Town Hall in 1999 is an all-time favorite for sure.

Least favorite concert?
Hmm, some I've performed at most likely.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I like the people, I like the hills, I love the Garfield Arts Centre & Mr. Small's. I like the lack of pretense & bullshit. I like the bridges.


Thanks, Kevin. Loving the first time through the album and for me that's ALWAYS a good sign!

No comments: