Saturday, November 10, 2012

First/Last-Patrick Sweany

Saturday, November 10, 2012
Southside

 "Patrick Sweany likes the spaces in between.
On a given night (or on a given album) he'll swing through blues, folk, soul, bluegrass, maybe some classic 50s rock, or a punk speedball. He's a musical omnivore, devouring every popular music sound of the last 70 years, and mixing 'em all together seamlessly into his own stew. Yet, the one thing that most people notice about Patrick isn't his ability to copy - it's his authenticity. Like his heroes, folks like Bobby "Blue" Bland, Eddie Hinton, Doug Sahm, Joe Tex, Patrick somehow manages to blend all of these influences into something all his own."


Patrick hits Pittsburgh co-headlining on a bill with one of my favorite songwriters Tim Easton at Club Cafe for the early show. You can be sure I will be there! My thanks to Patrick for taking a few to participate in this edition of First/Last.
 
The first album you ever bought?
The very first album I remember buying was the "Blues At Newport" album, with Skip James, John Hurt, John Hammond Jr., Dave Van Ronk, etc. It blew my mind.

Your last album bought?
Earl King's "Sexual Telepathy”.

Favorite album of all time?
Probably either Led Zeppelin “IV” or Hound Dog Taylor's "Genuine Houserockin' Music”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Every album with Gated reverb on the drums.

First concert attended?
John Denver, Blossom Music Center, early eighties.

Last concert?
Hmmm…Ian McLagan at the Lucky Lounge in Austin, TX.

Favorite concert ever?
Tough call. Van Halen on my birthday, or Doc Watson at Merlefest, 2005-ish, or Ray Charles in 2000-ish....

Least favorite concert?
Steely Dan at Star Lake Amphitheater. I was with a miserable bunch of people who berated me the entire time about how awesome I should think Steely Dan is, and why wasn't I rocking out more etc. I had never listened to anything that I knew to be Steely Dan, prior to that concert. Not necessarily anything to do with the band, but that show sucked as an experience.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I have some great friends that live here, and hope to see them at the show.
Thanks, Patrick. Really looking forward to the show, man. See you then.

No comments: