Friday, November 30, 2012

First/Last-Madeline and the Metropolis

Saturday, December 1, 2012
Southside

"Hailing from Pittsburgh, PA, Madeline and the Metropolis carefully blends its vast musical influences to create an indie-rock sound that is both captivating and unique, which translates seamlessly into their high-energy live performances. MatM has been tirelessly working to piece together the songs for the release of their upcoming full-length album, Madeline and the Metropolis, which will be available 12/1/2012. With over a year of experience playing the local Pittsburgh scene, MatM is just hitting their stride and looking forward to an exciting end to 2012, and an even bigger 2013."

Check out Madeline and the Metropolis online at Facebook, ReverbNation, Twitter and Bandcamp. The locals have their debut CD Release gig tomorrow at Club Cafe for the late show with support from Balloon Ride Fantasy. My Thanks to Chris Rowe (Vocals/Guitar), Howard Brumberg (Lead Guitar), Mike Smales (Drums/Percussion) and Darren Hammel (Bass) for taking some time to participate in this edition of First/Last.



The first album you ever bought?
Chris Rowe: Third Eye Blind, “Third Eye Blind”. I might have been 10 years old. I still listen to this one a lot.
Howard Brumberg: Van Halen, “1984”.
Mike Smales: Soundgarden, “Superunknown”.
Darren Hammel: Cheap Trick, “Dream Police”. KISS was my introduction to rock music, mainly because of their stage show, but Cheap Trick was the first band I liked solely for their music.


Your last album bought?
Chris: Japandroids, “Celebration Rock”. I love the powerful sound these guys are able to get as a two piece.
Howard: Arcade Fire, “The Suburbs”.
Mike: The Walkmen, “Heaven”.
Darren: Rush, “Clockwork Angels”. 60-year old farts still showing the kids how it should be done.


Favorite album of all time?
Chris: Always a tough question, but I’d have to go back to the self-titled Third Eye Blind album. The guitar work is awesome, but it’s subtle so you really have to listen to pick some of the parts out. A lot of people write off these guys because of the radio hits, but there are some real gems on this album. ‘Motorcycle Drive By’ is still my favorite song after all these years.
Howard: The Beatles, “ Rubber Soul”.
Mike: The Walkmen, “Bows and Arrows”.
Darren: Rush, “Moving Pictures”.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Chris: Anything Rush did after 1981.
Howard: Coldplay, “Mylo Xyloto”.
Mike: N/A.
Darren: Judas Priest, “Turbo”. I was a huge metalhead back in the '80s and Priest was my favorite band all throughout junior high (my god, I'm old!), but that album was a drastic departure for them and a big letdown for me.


First concert attended?
Chris: I don’t remember.
Howard: The Steve Miller Band.
Mike: AC/DC in Pittsburgh, ’02.
Darren: Cheap Trick, May 6, 1979 at the Stanley Theatre. I’m really showing my age now.


Last concert?
Chris: Dr. Dog. Those guys are a lot of fun live.
Howard: Coldplay.
Mike: The Walkmen, 9/30/2012.
Darren: Rush, September 11, 2012 at Consol Energy Center. See above comment on Rush.


Favorite concert ever?
Chris: I saw Butch Walker in a small bar outside Baltimore a few years ago. He puts on such a great show. Easily one of my favorite songwriters too.
Howard: Coldplay.
Mike: The Foo Fighters at Mellon Arena about five years ago was pretty awesome. They played a five-song encore.
Darren: Our last show.


Least favorite concert?
Chris: I don’t know if there has been one yet. I love live music, and can get into just about anything.
Howard: Mariah Carey.
Mike: N/A.
Darren: Lycia at Club Laga sometime in the mid-90's. Goth-band from Chicago, I think. They put on an unspirited show and just about ran off the stage when they were done.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Chris: I like it, just not the traffic.
Howard: It’s tough to reach new fans.
Mike: Pittsburgh is a great place for people to play music. It would be awesome if more places had a "built-in" crowd and if more people came out to listen to live music, but I'm always just happy to get the opportunity to play out. Perhaps with the local population on the rise, the music scene will improve.
Darren: No comment.


Thanks, guys. I can kinda sympathize with the seemingly 'lack of appreciation' here in town but keep on keeping on and the music will eventually speak for itself!

No comments: