Wednesday, January 9, 2013

First/Last-Ray Lanich


"Ray Lanich knew at an early age that music was his destiny.  He received his first guitar for his tenth birthday, and in less than four years, he was performing professionally.
Currently, Ray Lanich lives outside of Pittsburgh, PA with his fiance and continues to write and perform his own music.  He acts as his own manager, booking agent, PR, and record label.  After singing "The National Anthem" at the Erie Bayfront Convention Center, Ray was asked what his goal was in the music industry.  Ray laughed and said, "I don't want to be famous - just known."    

Ray can be found at his official Website, Facebook, Twitter, ReverbNation and YouTube. His band is playing Howler's tomorrow night with special guest Sarah Fina. My thanks to Ray for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
The first album I ever bought with my own money was Weezer's "Blue Album" when I was twelve years old.

Your last album bought?
"No Time for Later" by The Trews. A great Canadian rock band that I feel more people in the US should know about.

Favorite album of all time?
Even though I am not one to seek out punk/ska records, Sublime's self-titled, major label release is still an album in which I love every track.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
My most disappointing album I ever bought was Aerosmith's "Done With Mirrors". When I was a kid, Aerosmith was a big reason I picked up the guitar and wanted to pursue music, but that record was not their best effort.

First concert attended?
The first concert I went to was when I was fourteen. I saw Stone Temple Pilots with Cheap Trick at Tullio Arena in Erie, PA.

Last concert?
The last concert I went to was CMA Festival in Nashville, TN.

Favorite concert ever?
My favorite concert experience has been anytime I've seen The Trews play live.

Least favorite concert?
I have to say my least favorite concert experience was when I saw Kansas. I am a big fan, and even though (musically) the band was great, they lacked any kind of stage presence and the lead singer's listless performance was a turn-off.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I have come to really love Pittsburgh. Before I moved to the area, my main exposure to the city was mostly centered around Downtown. Living and performing here has opened me up to a whole new Pittsburgh I didn't even know existed. The city's pride and spirit is infectious. The vast number of talented musicians and competing bars and venues makes pursuing a lucrative music career challenging here, however Pittsburgh also offers so many great opportunities that I probably would have never had performing in and around Erie, PA. There is such a great musical history in this town, and I humbly hope one day to add a chapter to the book.


Thanks, Ray. I couldn't agree with you more about many Canadian bands not getting the love they should here in the States. The amazing, overlooked musicians that aren't known because they live in a neighboring country always dumbfounded me.

No comments: