Monday, January 7, 2013

First/Last-Randy Baumann


Randy Baumann is the popular morning host on WDVE-FM in Pittsburgh. He also plays keys in The Randall Baumann Band (ahem...fetch my ascot and monocle Jeeves, I am attending the RANDALL Baumann Band concert tonight) which I caught a couple times last year. They, along with local stalwarts The Houserockers, put on a fantastic tribute to The Rolling Stones' "Exile on Main St." dubbed 'Exile on Carson St.' last May featuring a revolving cast of singers playing the album in full. I recently caught the band again in December at the Thunderbird where none other than the voice of the Penguins Paul Steigerwald boldly proclaimed before the set that, "You're gonna love this. They play obscure songs that you have never heard before." Well, maybe so Paul, but I run a music blog. They were reaching back to some obscure classic rock tunes for sure, which as promised by 'Staggy', did turn out to be a fun time. My thanks to Randy for taking a few minutes to participate in this edition of First/Last.



The first album you ever bought?
”Tommy” and Pink Floyd’s “Animals” at a flea market.

Your last album bought?
Gary Clark Jr.

Favorite album of all time?
I was never big on "favorite" questions because I might have a different answer depending on when you asked me. But for now, I'd say "American Goldwing" by Blitzen Trapper.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
U2’s last album was terrible, so was Wilco’s last album. Love Wilco, hated that album.

First concert attended?
Aerosmith ‘Back In The Saddle’ tour '85.

Last concert?
I just saw Rebirth Brass Band and Kermit Ruffins in New Orleans.

Favorite concert ever?
Phish, Star Lake ‘98.

Least favorite concert?
My Morning Jackets last show at Stage AE. I have my reasons.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I love that Pittsburgh has largely shed its inferiority complex. Civic pride isn't just based out of a sense of insecurity any longer. There is important art being created in one of the country's most diverse and unique cities. It's no longer solely defined by its sports culture and blue collar work ethic (though they remain prominent). Its vibrant and beautiful and climate change is even making it sunnier!

Thanks, Randy. I definitely had at a blast at your two gigs I saw last year. Oooh, how about a 'Basement Tapes' gig in the future?

No comments: