Monday, May 28, 2012

First/Last-Broken Fences


"Morgan Erina & Guy Russo began writing and performing together as Broken Fences in 2010, and have developed a sound that suggests a meeting between Bon Iver and Simon & Garfunkel. They’ve taken their two vastly different worldviews (She’s from NYC, he’s from Pittsburgh, PA), and melded them into an honest and powerful style of indie-folk, one that’s as current as it is timeless."
The band is releasing it's debut album this week at an already sold out show. These two are truly in the DIY category of musicians and I dig them for that. Thanks to both Morgan and Guy for taking a few minutes to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Morgan Erina: “Bury The Hatchet” by The Cranberries.
Guy Russo: Stevie Wonder, “Fulfillingness’ First Finale”.

Your last album bought?
Morgan: “Little Broken Hearts” by Norah Jones.
Guy: Johnny Flynn, “Been Listening”.

Favorite album of all time?
Morgan: This is a cliché, but I don’t care. I love it, ha-ha! “Nevermind” by Nirvana.
Guy: It's hypothetical. If the ‘White Album’ were cut down to size (one disc) it would be by far my favorite. As is, a lot of nonsense to sift through.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Morgan: “No Baggage” by Dolores O'Riordan.
Guy: The rest of the ‘White Album’.

First concert attended?
Morgan: The Cranberries.
Guy: .38 Special (1999).

Last concert?
Morgan & Guy: Ray LaMontagne.

Favorite concert ever?
Morgan: Ray LaMontagne (though we are seeing Radiohead soon, and I love Thom Yorke, ha!)
Guy: Generally, the last great concert I saw. In this case, Ray, but we're seeing Radiohead in two weeks, so we'll see.

Least favorite concert?
Morgan: Crystal Castles.
Guy: Assuming Super Bowl Halftime shows on TV don't count, Dream Theater with Queensryche.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Morgan: The small town vibe, yet city living. Meeting the community of people I know today. Pittsburgh has a kind energy, being from New York City, while NYC will always be my home, it was too competitive for me, while Pittsburgh literally took me in with open arms. Oh yeah, and meeting Guy Russo ;p.
Guy: I've lived here my whole life and we're still on pretty good terms, so I have to say Pittsburgh has been and always will be a great home, no matter where I live.

Thanks you two. Looking forward to the set!

No comments: