Tuesday, March 28, 2017

First/Last - Kayla Schureman

"At times dark and desperate, each track still glistens with the hope of the great wide open, territory that Schureman narrates and navigates with one eye on the rearview and her foot on the gas.  A little bit country, and never short on rock and roll, the album tells a story that’s there and back and gone again with plenty of guitar along the way."

Kayla Schureman is a Pittsburgh based Americana singer-songwriter who just released her debut today called Kiss the Ground. She will be celebrating on Saturday April 8 with an official release show at The Funhouse at Mr. Smalls. I want to thank Kayla for being a recent musical guest on HughShowsTV Episode 9 and for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
When I was eight I bought Paula Cole's album, This Fire. So random. But it was the 90's and I liked a song from it.


Your last album bought?
I stream now to keep up with new releases, but I recently bought a physical copy of Ryan Adams, Prisoner.


Favorite album of all time?
Man, my favorite constantly changes. I don't know if I've ever held one favorite above the rest. If I answered that today it would change by next week.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Well, there are certainly albums I bought and then grew out of over the past twenty years of buying music. I will say I had higher hopes for the new Rolling Stones album, Blue and Lonesome. I think it's...forgettable.


First concert attended?
George Strait at the California Mid State Fair.


Last concert?
(If I am not counting local shows) Florence and the Machine... I think.


Favorite concert ever?
This is tough! Probably seeing Feist one summer in Pittsburgh during her Metals tour.


Least favorite concert?
When I saw Justin Townes Earle in San Francisco years ago. He kept having technical issues with the sound and got pretty pissed off.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I've only ever lived here as an adult but this place has really grown on me the past five years. I love the seasons. I've met a lot of great artists and friends here. The music scene here survives because the people involved have a two-way street approach and support each other. I hope that never changes.


Thanks, Kayla. I actually was going to photograph that Feist show and voluntarily turned around at the gate when I was told that I was only permitted as far as the soundboard. Photos look so stale from that vantage point and I said "deuces."

No comments: