Wednesday, January 21, 2015

First/Last-Steven Foxbury

"Well, it’s not exactly Ocean Way or Bearsville, but what it lacks in grandeur, it makes up for in coziness. As someone who has spent a fair amount of time in recording studios, I know how intimidating and sterile they can be. I have done my best to create an atmosphere that will put you at ease and inspire performances that will not make you cringe two weeks later. Believe me, that’s a feeling I know all too well. I’ve collected some fantastic gear and have everything we’ll need to make a professional sounding album. If you need some other musicians to help out, I’ve built a great network of some of the most talented session players I’ve ever met. They are each willing to consider your budget as well."

Steven Foxbury is a singer-songwriter/manager/producer from Pittsburgh who, along with making music, is the owner of Yellow Couch Studio who have been presenting the "Yellow Couch Sessions", a performance series filmed for posterity. This Friday (1/24) Steven is hosting a private house show featuring the alt-folk duo Flagship Romance from Florida. If you are at all interested in attending this very special gig, email me for details. I want to thank Steven for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
 
The first album you ever bought?
Def Leppard, “Pyromania”. I remember betting a friend that he couldn’t sit still during ‘Photograph’. Turned out it was possible.


Your last album bought?
“There Goes Rhymin’ Simon” on vinyl. It occurred to me that Paul Simon may not even know that there are bad drummers.


Favorite album of all time?
I got the “White Album” on CD for Christmas in 8th grade. It sort of became the fertile crescent for just about everything I’ve fallen in love with since.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
It’s a very difficult thing, making records. I have to respect anyone with the gumption and ability to do so. I just leave it at that.


First concert attended?
Well, my Aunt Mindy and Uncle Edge (how awesome is that?) took me to see ZZ Top in 7th grade. The people in front of me were smoking weed and I was thoroughly freaked out. When it was over, my ears were ringing and I was worried that I might be secretly stoned. While still in 7th grade, I went with some friends to see Fear. We rode in the backseat of Mike Peck’s brother's friend’s VW Scirocco and three of us split a hot beer. I will forever associate the smell of Polo cologne with that car ride and that concert. I’m OK with that.


Last concert?
Emerging singer/songwriter Matthew Fowler played a gorgeous house show in Nashville. I was fortunate enough to be there for that. Full disclosure: I manage Matthew, but it’s no bullshit — he’s a talented individual.


Favorite concert ever?
I saw Radiohead in later summer, 2001, during the ‘Amnesiac’ tour. They played Stone Mountain, just outside of Atlanta. The field probably could have fit 20,000 people, but they only released 7,000 tickets. It was everything you could ever want from a Radiohead concert. I still feel hopeful because of it.


Least favorite concert?
I’m sure it’s one of my own, though it’s a tight race to choose only one.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
This month marks the 10-year anniversary of our move to Pittsburgh from Orlando, FL. I love the people in this town — their enthusiasm, their rituals, their willingness to try new things and especially the way that they, and I think I’m now comfortable saying we, look out for each other. I’ve found people here to be utterly supportive of one another and that’s a rare quality to find in individuals, let alone an entire citizenry! You (Hugh) illustrate this point perfectly. I love Pittsburgh and am grateful to play a small part of its musical community. Thank you so much for your dedication and for including me in this. Happy Anniversary, Hugh!!


Thanks, Steven. You are very kind, man. We are all in this together, buddy. And you moved to Pittsburgh just as I was starting HughShows! How lucky are you! ;)

No comments: