Wednesday, January 28, 2015

First/Last-Pearl and the Beard


"Brooklyn trio Pearl and the Beard passionately intertwine three distinct voices amidst a powerfully delicate orchestra of cello, guitars, keyboard, bells, and percussion, offering songs that speak to joy and sorrow, love and loss. The breadth of their songwriting and genre-defying sound is reflected in the vast variety of other artists with whom they've shared the stage, most notably Ani DiFranco, Matt & Kim, Ingrid Michaelson, DeVotchKa, Lucius, Laura Marling, The Drums, and The Lumineers."

Pearl and the Beard are an indie pop band from Brooklyn who are currently on tour with blog faves Wild Child. They both hit Pittsburgh this Friday (1/30) at The Rex and I want to thank 2/3 of the band in Jeremy Lloyd-Styles (Guitar/Percussion/Vocals) and Emily Hope Price (Cello/Keyboards/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Jeremy Lloyd-Styles: I think it was "Rapping for Jesus". I was very young and raised in a very religious household.
Emily Hope Price: I never bought albums until I was a little older - I recorded most of my favorite music from the radio and put it on a mixed tape. I was a super fancy techie: even when I was little. But, for my first purchase...? I don't actually remember - it might have been New Kids On the Block... or Paula Abdul. But I mainly listened to my dad's record collection, which was eclectic and wonderful.

Your last album bought?
Jeremy: Roberta Flack – “First Take” on dollar bin vinyl.
Emily: Alan Lomax: “Gaelic Songs of Scotland: Women At Work In the Western Isles”.

Favorite album of all time?
Jeremy: Three way tie: Weezer-“Blue Album”, Oasis “What's the Story (Morning Glory)” and Radiohead “OK Computer”.
Emily: This is tough. Michael Jackson: “Thriller” - keeps the hits comin'.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Jeremy: Done terribly recorded bootleg of a Weezer concert I bought in high school.
Emily: I don't get disappointed as I set my expectations super low - lots of stuff is great if you expect less! ;)

First concert attended?
Jeremy: The Winans.
Emily: (Non classical) Catherine Wheel opening for Belly.

Last concert?
Jeremy: The one I played last night in Durham.
Emily: You Won't at Rockwood Music Hall.

Favorite concert ever?
Jeremy: Death Cab for Cutie at the Wiltern in LA.
Emily: Coldplay at Red Rocks in 2003.

Least favorite concert?
Jeremy: Some KROQ free punk concert with Blink 182, MxPx, Homegrown, and Sprung Monkey because my friends and I almost got crushed to death in pit when everyone fell.
Emily: See least disappointing album.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Jeremy: Pittsburgh is home to my favorite football team: the Steelers. My great uncle played for them when they wore leather helmets.
Emily: I have lived in Pittsburgh before! I attended CMU for my master's degree in Cello Performance. I lived in Bloomfield and would often walk to/from school with my cello - it was HEAVY. In terms of a "favorite album", when I finally got a car and didn't have to take the 54C everywhere, the only tape I had in my car was Bjork's album “Debut”. It is still one of my all-time favorite albums and takes me back to driving around Pittsburgh and CMU campus instantly. I love Pittsburgh - it is still one of my favorite places to visit.

Thanks, guys. Love both of your Pittsburgh connections. Bloomfield to CMU walking with a cello, Emily? Jeez that's a haul.

No comments: