Tuesday, August 19, 2014

First/Last-Literature


"Autumn of 2013 saw the band begin work on their second album, Chorus, with lauded engineer Gary Olson (whose body of work includes records by Crystal Stilts, Mad Scene and The Beets) at his Marlborough Farms studio in Brooklyn, NY. As a beautiful autumn turned into one of the harshest winters in recent memory, Olson and the band began stretching out, enhancing the album with studio techniques dating back to the late 60s including true-tape flanging, sending vocals through Leslie speaker cabinets, and the same analog style of automatic double-tracking created at Abbey Road Studios. The result is an album that is as immediate as it is timeless, full of effortlessly catchy and well-crafted tunes that echo pop legends like Smiths and Orange Juice. All of that time in the studio has resulted in a rich, considered sound that puts the band's arranging and playing front and center. Chorus is one of the most exciting pop records in years, and marks Literature at true contenders."


Literature is a jangle pop band out of Philadelphia who's latest album, "Chorus" drops today via Slumberland Records. I want to thank Seth Whaland (Bass) for taking a few to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Aerosmith “Big Ones”, duh.


Your last album bought?
Got that new Wild Honey EP, “Seventeen Forever” and have listened to it over & over & over.


Favorite album of all time?
Leonard Cohen “Death of a Ladies Man”.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Aerosmith “Big Ones” upon listening to it now.


First concert attended?
I think it was Peter Paul & Mary with my family and I don't really remember it. As a teenager I think I saw Ted Leo and Atom & His Package anytime they played within 100 miles of the Lehigh Valley, PA.


Last concert?
I know different members of Literature are going to different shows tonight as I write this. I personally am going to see Spenking and Viking Moses in South Philly.


Favorite concert ever?
The NYC & Baltimore Popfests were extremely fun to play because of how many excellent bands we got to see, and the crowds were so much fun. I know it is probably lame to mention our own shows. But I couldn't possibly pick out a single show I've attended that is clearly the best.


Least favorite concert?
Once I won tickets to see Robyn Hitchcock but I didn't find out I'd won until the day after the show, which was a huge disappointment. So while I'm sure that was an excellent show, it is my least favorite because I missed it.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Yes! We know some great people that either currently live in Pittsburgh or are from there. Plus it is cool all the sports teams share the same colors.

Thanks, Seth. Totally loving this record. It's got a throwback sound similar to the Paisley Underground I loved in the early 80's.

No comments: