Monday, April 21, 2014

First/Last-The Feel Bad Hit of the Winter


"The Feel Bad Hit Of The Winter is a three piece band from Kansas City, Missouri who formed in early 2014, by the looks of things.  The Feel Bad Hit Of The Winter play an impossibly catchy and hard to ignore style of music that draws inspiration from several subgenres of independent music, which includes indie rock, grunge, lo-fi, and post punk.  The Feel Bad Hit Of The Winter features exceptional guitarwork paired with lo-fi grunge, which is tied together with a killer post punk rhythm that ties the band's sound together in a nice little package.  Musically, The Feel Bad Hit Of The Winter can be loosely compared to bands such as Parquet Courts, The Men, Typewriter, and other like minded indie rock bands.  Vocals tend to be on the introspective side of things, which also adds a dreamy atmospheric vibe to the band's sound.  Overall, this is a killer EP that is not to be missed.  Highly recommended!  Enjoy!" - Manic Compression

Check out the band on BandCamp. The band's self-titled debut is out now on Russian Winter Records. I want to thank Ryan Leip (Guitar/Vocals), Richard Stone (Bass) and Freddy Aguirre (Drums) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Ryan Leip: Nine Inch Nails “And All That Could Have Been.”
Richard Stone: “Americana” by The Offspring is what I tell everyone, but it's secretly “Tubthumper” by Chumbawumba. I was 12 and I have no other excuses.
Freddy Aguirre: It was a Tupac album.

Your last album bought?
Ryan: The new self-titled album from “osoosooso”.
Stone: “Houston: We Have A Drinking Problem" by Bad Astronaut. Anything Joey Cape has a hand in is alright by me.
Freddy: I just bought the new Sidewise album.

Favorite album of all time?
Ryan: That’s a tough one. Right now I'd go with The Beatles "Abbey Road", “The Life and Times "Tragic Boogie", and Blink 182's Self-Titled album. But that list will probably look different tomorrow.
Stone: Ugh. It changes on the daily, it feels like. “My Shame Is True” by Alkaline Trio is what I'm going with, but I know I'm missing out on tons of others.
Freddy: Blink 182 "Take Off Your Pants And Jacket", the yellow album.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Ryan: “Chinese Democracy” is the cool answer, right? I don't know, I usually don't like to talk about how much I don't like an album...
Stone: “Anarchy, My Dear” by Say Anything. It was just kind of a letdown after “...Is A Real Boy”, “In Defense of the Genre”, and their Self-Titled album.
Freddy: “The William Hung Christmas Album”. For some reason I thought that would be really funny to buy.

First concert attended?
Ryan: Nine Inch Nails on the tour for “With Teeth”. Still one of the best shows I've been to.
Stone: Alkaline Trio during their tour for “Crimson” in 2005. I was a real late bloomer.
Freddy: Oscar DeLeon in Kansas City.

Last concert?
Stone and Ryan: There's this really awesome band local to Kansas City called The Sexy Accident.
Freddy: I went to a random reggae show last weekend.

Favorite concert ever?
Ryan: I'd probably have to go with Alkaline Trio and The Smoking Popes. The show ended with a drunken Matt Skiba passing out into the crowd with his guitar still on and feeding back while his security and the crowd played tug of war with him. It was one of the most rock and roll things I've ever seen.
Stone: Alkaline Trio and Smoking Popes at The Metro in Chicago for New Years Eve ‘06/New Years Day ‘07. First time seeing Smoking Popes and Alk3 played “From Here to Infirmary” in full.
Freddy: Hands down Blink 182.

Least favorite concert?
Ryan: Probably Warped Tour, whenever the last time I went was, 2010 I think. It was oppressively hot, and full of bands I had no interest in. I only managed to catch two sets. Granted there were only about four or five I wanted to see. But yeah, that one left a lot to be desired.
Stone: Warped Tour. I know it's getting to be a cliche to trash Warped Tour but I just can't deal with the heat, the crowds, and the people to see 4 out of 20 bands on a bill.
Freddy: Can't remember.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Ryan: Unfortunately, I've never been to Pittsburgh, but it seems like a cool place. Hopefully we can find our way out there before too long.
Stone: I grew up just down I-70 from Pittsburgh in Baltimore. I'm sorry about any Ravens fans that act a fool.
Freddy: I've never been to Pittsburgh, but I would love to play out there and go to a Steelers game sometime soon.


Thanks, fellas. No apologies needed for Ravens fans behavior, Stone. I have witnessed some over-the-top shenanigans from Black and Gold fans myself. Well, maybe I take that back... the Ravens suck.

No comments: