Friday, November 26, 2010

First/Last-Josh Fiedler

Image courtesy the band

Vesta
Club Cafe
Saturday November 27, 2010
Southside

After the popular local band The Juliana Theory disbanded, multi-instrumentalist Josh Fiedler formed Vesta along with former TJT members Joshua Kosker and Chad Monticue. They play Club Cafe Saturday on an exciting bill with ATLAS and Big Hurry. I hear they might clear the area in front of the stage for dancing (or, as I like to think of it, as improved sightlines for better photos). Josh was cool enough to participate in this week's Black Friday edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
First record I bought with my own money was Lou Gramm of Foreigner’s solo record "Midnight Blue". I don't exactly know why though .. haha I think I was about 6 or 7 years old when it came out and I loved that song.

Your last album bought?
The new Amusement Parks On Fire "Road Eyes". They are an amazing Indie/shoegazer band from the U.K.

Favorite album of all time?
That’s a bit tough...probably a handful at any given time but ones that always stick to me are: The Beatles - Rubber Soul and Revolver; Sonic youth – Dirty; The Cure – Disintegration; My Bloody Valentine – Loveless; Radiohead - The Bends; Led Zep II & III; Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream. It’s too hard to name just one.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
The new Jimmy Eat World. They are a band that I have loved every record since “Static Prevails” and with this new record seems like it just lacks passion and is stripped of all energy. It’s like the band was castrated.

First concert attended?
The Ramones.

Favorite concert ever?
Probably Sonic Youth at Mr. Smalls about 4-5 years ago. I had wanted to see them for so long and after years of waiting I was still blown away.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Too many favorite thoughts of Pittsburgh even from my youth when my grandparents would take me to the Carnegie to see the dinosaurs, to various Pens and Steeler games and even recently with The Juliana Theory's last show ever.



Thanks Josh. Dinosaurs! Right on, I am so surprised that they aren't mentioned in everyone's answers. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

1 comment:

ivondudley said...

I was about to type 'Futures isn't that bad' and then I realised that Jimmy Eat World have released 2 records since that.