Thursday, November 11, 2010

First/Last-Jonathan Meiburg & Damien Jurado

Images courtesy Robert Loerzel

Shearwater
Damien Jurado
Thunderbird Cafe
Saturday November 13, 2010
Larryville

I mentioned in my Radar Brothers post last month that they were among a handful of bands that I was finally able to see live after many years of wanting to. This Saturday, can I can conveniently scratch two more off. Shearwater and Damien Jurado are touring together and bringing the show to Pittsburgh at the T'Bird (with local favs Lohio no less!). This should be an incredible show and and may very well sell out, so be warned. Both Jonathan and Damien were very cool to take some time and participate in the ever growing phenomena that is First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Jonathan Meiburg: Dire Straits-Brothers in Arms (if you were alive in 1986 you were required to buy this album. I remember unwrapping the cassette from its shrink-wrap and sniffing the insert.)
Damien Jurado: KISS-Destroyer.

Your last album bought?
Jonathan: Enigmatic by Polish prog-rocker Czeslaw Niemen. What a voice.
Damien: Grateful Dead-American Beauty.

Favorite album of all time?
Jonathan: The Secret Museum of Mankind series, issued by Yazoo records.
Damien: Jimi Hendrix-Electric Ladyland.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Jonathan: A Momentary Lapse of Reason by "Pink Floyd".
Damien: I don't own those albums.

First concert attended?
Jonathan: Paul Simon at the Dean E Smith Athletic Center, Chapel Hill NC.
Damien: KISS - The Dynasty Tour.

Last concert?
Jonathan: That I paid to go to? Lower Dens at Death By Audio, Brooklyn NY.
Damien: Richard Swift.

Favorite concert ever?
Jonathan: Tie: Neil Young at Primavera Sound fest in Barcelona, 2008 / Nick Cave at ATP, Minehead UK, 2007.
Damien: Jandek.

Least favorite concert?
Jonathan: Van Morrison in Belfast, Northern Ireland, 1998. Barked his way through a short set and stormed off.
Damien: Most likely some festival with a ton of bands that I've never heard of.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Jonathan: It's been several years since I've played there, but the first time I did I remember arriving the night of a show, on the highway that emerges from a hole in the mountain, and I was amazed to see the city appear all of a sudden. It was beautiful. Another time I visited the national aviary and spent about fifteen minutes ogling a hyacinth macaw. I've always liked Pittsburgh - I'm glad we're finally coming back.
Damien: I really like the bridges...and how beautiful the city looks at night.


Thanks so much, fellas. I am extremely stoked for the show. See you Saturday.

No comments: