Friday, July 30, 2010

First/Last-Nik Westman


Nik Westman & The Central Plains
Brillobox
Saturday July 31, 2010
Larryville

Nik recently put out one of my favorite local releases this year. If you haven't heard it or have seen him live, kill two birds with one stone tomorrow night. He was kind enough to take a few and participate in this week's installment of First/Last Fridays.


The first album you ever bought?
"Staring at the Sea" by the Cure, when I listen to that record now I just feel like it's got a pretty sweet punkish sound.

Your last album bought?
"Small Cities" debut album, it's got a great groove to it. I've been buying a lot of local Pittsburgh music, a lot of great stuff is blasting off around here.

Favorite album of all time?
I don't know? Yesterday I really enjoyed "El hombre Lobo" by the Eels. I don't think I have one, sometimes I like this and sometimes I like that you know.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
It was so bad I blocked it out.

First concert attended?
I went to see this punk band called AFI, that was the first big show I'd been to that I can think of.
Some dude stole my wallet right out of my pants and disappeared into the abyss. It was a hopeless situation.

Last concert? Dawes and 28 North at Hartwoord Acres. It was a very nice concert.

Favorite concert ever?
Dude, I don't know, I've been to some pretty dang good ones, can't say I have a favorite of all time.

Least favorite concert?
My band opened up for Formula 412 at Kaya Fest earlier this year. Those guys are real friendly...not.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Pittsburgh is affordable, full of art, music, tree's, and divebars.
I've met so many cool human beings here I can't even count them on my hands or feet.
Musically it's been very rewarding for me, I've met so many talented musicians and had so many great memories of playing shows with other locals. I'll always have a soft spot for this steel town, I'd like to believe that it's the best.


Thanks, Nik. Geez, I didn't want to start a flame war between bands and all but I'm with you buddy, mean people suck.

No comments: