Wednesday, April 7, 2010

First/Last-Jeremy Porter

Jeremy Porter
Howler's Coyote Cafe
Friday April 9, 2010
Bloomfield

In an effort to preview new music and upcoming shows of worth, I am starting a new feature here. Rather than an interview, I will ask few questions pertaining to an artists' musical taste. Today, I ask Jeremy Porter (who has a long and interesting career) to participate.

The first album you ever bought?

"KISS Alive! or Cheap Trick at Budokan. I remember hearing I Want You To Want Me and just being drawn in by that melody. I couldn’t get it out of my head and to this day melody and hooks are my favorite parts of music. Truth is though, it was probably Alive! I knew I wanted a KISS record, I knew it had to have Rock And Roll All Night on it, and Alive! had so many songs. Seemed like a good choice. Funny that they were both live records!"


Your last album bought?

"The Big To-Do by the Drive-By Truckers. Lots of people see them as the best band in the world these days. I have trouble arguing that. They have been unbelievably consistent for many years. This record is a bit shorter and a bit more rockin’ than the last couple, but the perfect follow up to last year’s Brighter Than Creations Dark."


Favorite album of all time?

"Tough question. It rotates around a bit I suppose. Let it Be by The Replacements is up there. Exile on Main Street (Rolling Stones) or Quadrophenia by The Who. Zen Arcade by Hüsker Dü. Springteen’s Nebraska is in the top 10 too."


Least favorite album?

"Not sure I have a least favorite album. Nothing comes to mind. I have a pretty low tolerance for things that are self indulgent, excessively noisy, or lack hooks and strong melody. I just get bored. Nothing against that stuff – some people eat it up so it has its place, just not my cuppa tea."


First concert attended?

"Alice Cooper with The Rockets at the Alpena (MI) Drive In, Special Forces Tour, July 4th 1981."


Last concert?

"Drive-By Truckers at Tipitina’s, New Orleans, LA March 19 & 20 2010."


Favorite concert ever?

"Probably The Ramones at Harpo’s in Detroit in December of 88. An unbelievable onslaught of power and great songs. I’ve seen a lot of great shows, but that one has stuck with me."


Least favorite concert?

"The Grateful Dead, 1994ish, The Palace of Auburn Hills, MI. I paid an (at the time) ungodly $35 to stare at the back of Jerry Garcia’s head for 3 goddamn hours. It was a waste of a buzz, money and time. I couldn’t wait to get out of there."


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
"I’ve been to Pittsburgh a couple times. A few years back we went to a Penguins/Red Wings game. Got to see Mario Lemieux score a couple of goals, but the Wings won in OT. Then, this past June I was playing in St Louis when the 2 teams faced off in game 7 of the finals. We were the only people in the building who wanted the Wings to win. I don’t think the people there cared that it was the Penguins, but they desperately wanted Detroit to lose. Anyhow – I am happy for the Penguins to see success after almost losing the franchise. Pittsburgh is a cool, blue collar city like Detroit and I can’t wait for my show at Howler’s Coyote Café on Friday April 9th!"

Thanks Jeremy. I am digging the disc.

If you are in a band and would like to be featured in upcoming First/Last columns, drop me a line.



No comments: