Tuesday, October 8, 2013

First/Last-Jonny Rodgers


"In addition to touring and recording his songs based around tuned wine glasses, guitar, and electronics, Jonny Rodgers is also a composer and producer, writing chamber, orchestral and choral music for concert and film. His newest material prominently features tuned wine glasses, guitars and electronics with live loops used in unexpected and captivating ways."

Check out Jonny at his official Website, Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, BandCamp and MySpace. Johnny's latest album, "Everything All At Once", via Epitonic will be released today and coincidentally, Jonny stops in Pittsburgh tonight at Pittsburgh Winery to celebrate with support from Joel Ansett and Kevin Garrett. I want to thank Jonny for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
U2's “Boy” album, which was pretty old when I bought it, but I'd been reading a book about their early years and was excited to hear what their "raw, early sound" was.

Your last album bought?
Roomful Of Teeth, “Partita”. Restores my faith in music as an art form every time I hear it.

Favorite album of all time?
Oh gosh. That's a toughie. There are so many.
Here are 10 that I currently love listening to when I'm in an airport or driving or resting on a Sunday afternoon: Ivan Moravec doing Chopin's “Preludes”, The Police “Singles”, Neutral Milk Hotel “In The Aeroplane Over The Sea”, Paul Simon “Graceland”, Son Lux “We Are Rising”, Simone Dinnerstein Bach's “Goldberg Variations”, Benjamin Britten “A Ceremony Of Carols”, Leslie "Hutch" Hutchinson “Hutch Sings Cole Porter”, Getz/Gilberto, Luiz Bonfa “Solo in Rio” (1959).

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I can't think of any that I'd put in this category. There's a lot of pop-punk from the early '90s that I'd be happy to never hear again.  Kanye's last album “Yeezus” was pretty gross (just being honest here).

First concert attended?
In a stadium - Jethro Tull doing some kind of reunion tour when I was super young. But before that, a local cover band doing hits like ‘The Boys Are Back In Town’ which I thought was super cool when I was 9.

Last concert?
Josh Garrels, Loud Harp, A Boy And His Kite.

Favorite concert ever?
I can't say what my favorite concert ever was, but when I see a performer that is so awesome that I laugh out loud, I know they've hit me good! Some recent examples:
Son Lux w. Stephen Petronius ‘Like Lazarus Did’, Burlap To Cashmere (chills every time), Jonsi ‘Go’ tour.

Least favorite concert?
Eric Clapton.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I haven't been there for YEARS - Can't wait to come through! There may have been a real "Electric Banana" there that I played on my first tour with my band Mighty Purple in my teens. It was a stressful night. I expect my show on Oct 8th will be much better!


Thanks, Jonny. Playing wine glasses at a winery? Doesn't get much more meta than that!

No comments: