Wednesday, October 16, 2013

First/Last-The Martha's Vineyard Ferries


"The Martha’s Vineyard Ferries is a rock band which began as a kind of gag between friends.  “Elisha and I were just hanging around talking about having a band and we were coming up with ridiculous names,” Weston said. “At first, I don’t think we really thought it would happen. But after awhile we were like, ‘Hey, should we really do this?’ Who would be the drummer?’ and Elisha immediately said, ‘Brokaw’.”

Check out the band on Facebook and Tumblr. Featuring members of Kahoots, Mission of Burma and Codiene, the trio released it's debut full-length, "Mass. Grave" just yesterday via Kiam Records. I want to thank Bob Weston (Bass/Vocals), Elisha Weisner (Guitar/Vocals) and Chris Brokaw (Drums/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Bob Weston: Kiss "Destroyer".
Elisha Wiesner: When I was a kid I spent the weekend with some friends my family who lived outside of Boston. The whole time, riding around in their mini-van, I was just in love with the tape that they were listening to. I actually ejected it to see who it was and it was a home dubbed tape. One side said "Violent Femmes", the other said "The Steve Miller Band". I of course knew that I wanted “The Violent Femmes". When I got home, my mom drove me to the record store and I ordered it. It came in a few days later and I was really excited. I was so bummed out when I put it in my tape deck. I wasn't “Flying Like An Eagle” and certainly wasn't feeling any ‘Jungle Love’. I had clearly wanted The Steve Miller Band, not The Violent Femmes.
Chris Brokaw: Kiss "Alive".

Your last album bought?
Bob: Sebadoh "Defend Yourself".
Elisha: Hank Thompson "Smokey The Bar". I've been picking up a lot of great dollar bin LP's recently at Aboveground Records in Edgartown MA. Hank Thompson is always great and this album is no exception. At the same time I picked up "Paul and" by Paul Stockley of Peter, Paul and Mary but I haven't listened to it yet. A friend of mine raves about this record so hopefully it'll be good.
Chris: Christicide "Upheaval Of The Soul".

Favorite album of all time?
Bob: ELO "Face the Music".
Elisha: Phil Ochs “Rehearsal For Retirement”.
Chris: PiL "Metal Box".

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Bob: The Clash "London Calling".
Elisha: That Violent Femmes tape when I wanted The Steve Miller Band.
Chris: The Clash "London Calling".

First concert attended?
Bob: The Cars at the Boston Garden.
Elisha: I know I was at concerts with my parents that I don't remember but the first show that I wanted to go to was Sha-Na-Na. They played at the local high school when I was 7 and it was awesome! I had a broken arm that summer and my dad got us backstage and Bowzer signed my cast. They were awesome. I highly recommend watching the unedited footage of them performing at Woodstock. You can find it on Youtube and it is really fucking great. They went on right before Hendrix.
Chris: Bad Company/Kansas.

Last concert?
Bob: Grant Hart at Danny's (Chicago).
Elisha: Mission of Burma on Friday night.
Chris: Mission of Burma/Kahoots/Milo Jones.

Favorite concert ever?
Bob: Fugazi at Worcester Artists Group / John Spencer Blues Explosion at Lounge Ax.
Elisha: I've seen a lot of great shows so it's really hard to pick one favorite but Fugazi at the Mass Art gym when I was 14 probably changed my life. I saw Silkworm a bunch of times and they always were great but a few of those shows were as good as any band can be.
Chris: Minor Threat (Great Gildersleeves)/Van Halen (Madison Square Garden) in the same week, 1984.

Least favorite concert?
Bob: Most of them, lately. Come on kids, bring it, you just look bored up there.
Elisha: I went to see Wilco in Boston with a couple friends right after that “Yankee Foxtrot whateverthehell” album came out. I guess I sort of liked them at the time. The opener was horrible and then Wilco just fucking blew. I had never seen a band phone it in like that. My friends were both pretty big fans of the band and they agreed. We left about half way through, ran to the subway and caught most of a Quasi set at The Middle East, which was awesome.
Chris: White Zombie/The Lunachicks/The Bloody Stools at some horrible New York club,1989.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Bob: At one Pittsburgh Volcano Suns show I found a bunny suit backstage, and so obviously wore it for the show. Towards the end, I decided to jump off the stage into the crowd. The 30 audience members moved and I landed on the floor and really hurt my back.
Elisha: I was an extra in the movie ‘Dogma’, which was filmed in Pittsburgh. You can clearly see me and my Brother during a scene where a church congregation is getting mauled. Good times.
Chris: Beautiful city! Nice people, good food, fun times! Go Manny!

Thanks, guys. Hopefully a Pittsburgh trip is in the near future for the band. Also, I can definitely spot you in 'Dogma', Elisha!

No comments: