Monday, October 14, 2013

First/Last-Adult Field Trip

Band photo courtesy of Margo Van Hoy

"Cormac sings. He also strums both the guitar and bass (though not at the same time). Ricky hits drums and sometimes messes with samples and weird stuff. They’ve been a band off and on for over a year…before that they played in other, separate bands. Their songs combine some underground indie/punk subgenres together to create a pretty cool (at least in our opinion) mesh of melodies and rhythms and lyrics and noise. Some tunes will be released by the end of this year, and they’ve got some gigs around Pittsburgh that you should probably check out. They’re also currently taking suggestions on how to end this bio."

Check out the band on Facebook. When not stalking Bob Mould the self described 'catchy, noise-rock' duo are playing occasional gigs including tomorrow night at The Shop on a bill with The Lampshades, Tereu Tereu and Enney. I want to thank Ricky Moslen (Drums/Noises) and Cormac Gartland (Guitar/Bass/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Ricky Moslen: Smashing Pumpkins “Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness”. I was in 6th grade.
Cormac Gartland: With my own money? Sonic Youth “Dirty”, maybe?

Your last album bought?
Ricky: That new Unwound box set.
Cormac: Bottomless Pit, “Blood Under The Bridge”.

Favorite album of all time?
Ricky: Impossible to answer without listing at least 50 albums. How 'bout my fave 2013 album so far? “We Knew It Was Not Going to Be Like This” by Surf City. The band’s like a combo of classic kiwi pop bands (The Chills, The Bats, etc) + Sonic Youthy noisy guitars + krautrock-like drumming. They rule.
Cormac: Big Star “Radio City” hands down no contest.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Ricky: After watching 'Some Kind of Monster,' I would've expected Metallica's “St. Anger” to be a lot funnier... instead it was just really boring.
Cormac: Most things…

First concert attended?
Ricky: Probably Raffi or something. First rock concert was Oasis in '98 though.
Cormac: I don’t remember.  My dad used to run sound when I was growing up so I saw a lot of stuff the first ten years of my life. The first concert I remember being really excited about was Rockapella at the Bottom Line in NYC. My dad used to work there and we’d go into work with him sometimes.

Last concert?
Ricky: Riot Fest in Chicago last month.
Cormac: Low at Altar Bar. Doin’ some prayin’.

Favorite concert ever?
Ricky: Either Refused's set at the Fun Fun Fun Fest last year or Boredoms w/ Jim O'Rourke at the Bowery Ballroom in 2004.
Cormac: Skinless Boneless at Kopec’s.

Least favorite concert?
Ricky: Difficult to answer since I've never attended a Morrissey show. SNAP. While maybe not my LEAST favorite, I caught Iceage at the (sadly now-defunct) 6119 venue earlier this year. The local openers all kicked ass, but IceAge sounded realllly terrible. The lead singer wore this black Stevie-Nicks-like witch’s hat that he probably bought at Hot Topic hours earlier, and he looked coked-up out of his mind. The other band members seemed super stuck-up and miserable. It's like, guys, you're touring the world... your music's not half bad... you don't have to be miserable little teenage shits. Anyways my friends and I left halfway through their set. So yeah, fuck those guys, ha-ha.
Cormac: I somehow saw Ryan Adams for free when I was 16 and it was so insanely boring, me and my friends walked out and got drunk in a van.
 
Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Ricky: Pittsburgh’s been my home for most of my life. Despite the amazing neighborhoods, restaurants, sports teams, bars, record stores, public parks, Kennywood, etc, the best part of Pittsburgh probably remains the people. Cool folks.
Cormac: I love old towns and cities. I like living somewhere where it feels like the place has a mind of its own and we just happen to be there.  That’s a really broad stroke of why I like Pittsburgh. It’s just a feeling, really. Pittsburgh feels right.

Thanks, fellas. Always love to discover and expose new Pittsburgh music any way I can. Looking forward to hearing lots from you guys in the future.

No comments: