Wednesday, July 31, 2013

First/Last-ROAR


"Pop mini-masterpiece from Phoenix's best kept secret. Soaring keyboards, perfect harmonies and sunny melodies surrounding a big black cloud of panic and terror. Oh fuck."

Check out the band at Tumblr, Facebook, Instagram, BandCamp and Twitter. I continue my coverage of the excellent and ongoing Paste 50 States Project with ROAR from Arizona. The band is Owen Evans and an ever-evolving cast of musicians that play his tunes live. You can discover for yourself how he rolls by picking up some of his music here. I want to thank Owen for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
I think my first album was Michael Jackson's “Dangerous”.

Your last album bought?
I don't remember the last record I bought. I think it might have been a Celine Dion “A New Day Has Come”. I was on tour at Amoeba Records in LA and had remembered loving the record having been forced to hear it over and over when I worked in a record store. Man, that was quite the run-on sentence. I ended up regretting the $4 purchase.

Favorite album of all time?
I do love “Pet Sounds”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I was pretty disappointed with Weezer's “Green Album” when that came out. I was pretty excited for a new Weezer record at that point.

First concert attended?
My first concert was Diana Ross in Hong Kong when I was 8 and lived there.

Last concert?
The last concert was one that we played with Anamanaguchi and they were wonderful.

Favorite concert ever?
My favorite concert was when my old band played with The Spinto Band in Phoenix. They covered ‘Mr. Blue Sky’ and ‘I Think We're Alone Now’. And I think we bonded.

Least favorite concert?
I don't think I have a least favorite concert... Or maybe it was so bad that I've blocked it from memory.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I played at Garfield Artworks in 2010 in front of maybe 5 people but it was really rainy and pretty that night.


Thanks, Owen. Loving your stuff, man. Don't let that GarfArt experience deter you from coming back to Pittsburgh. Would love to see you live!

No comments: