Monday, July 29, 2013

First/Last-Blake Hunter


"I grew up in a log cabin built by my father in Batesville, Va, studied music in Boston, started a band with friends from college based out of Charlottesville, Va, Trees on Fire in 2005, and now I live in a barn I converted to a home in which to raise my son.  My debut solo album Skylights I composed and produced with Eric Heigle in New Orleans."

Check Blake out at his official Website, Facebook, and SoundCloud. He has just released his debut single, 'Every Single Piece' as a preview of his upcoming full-length, "Skylights" which will drop this October. I want to thank Blake for taking a few to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Genesis “We Can’t Dance”.

Your last album bought?
Lana Del Ray “Born to Die”.

Favorite album of all time?
How about top 3. Radiohead “Hail to the Thief, Gorillaz “Plastic Beach” and Daniel Lanois “Acadie”. It's really hard to say this for real since I have gone through many phases of music style appreciation. I used to like classic rock a lot when I was young, and then got into the 90’s thing when I was a teenager, plus Dave Matthews was a big deal to me when I was first writing songs (he lived in Charlottesville, VA and played weekly gigs here)
.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Not sure, probably some album I don't know the name of, but really most young teeny bopper country singers drive me crazy. I wish they were stranded in a 3rd world country for a year. Otherwise, I am pretty open minded.

First concert attended?
Do you really mean first? Because I was in attendance for my parents shows when I was a baby being passed around the audience because I would always wake up from the cradle side stage... but if you mean in grown up life, it was The Who’s ‘Quadrophenia’ tour, Nissan Pavilion. I was 15 and it was amazing.

Last concert?
Avett Bros., Intelos Wireless Pavilion in Charlottesville
.

Favorite concert ever?
Radiohead headlining Bonnaroo '06, from 60 feet away, blew my mind having about 100,000 people behind me. I had to really want it to keep my spot, I was there with my band though we stuck together, tight friends.

Least favorite concert?
Ryan Adams, Paradise Rock Club, Boston. He must have been super wasted because he was a total jerk to the crowd and he was in a grungy punk stage of his music when I was expecting something more along the lines of “Heartbreaker”.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
It seems that you all have a really interesting undergroundy type of music scene. I have a hand full of friends from Pittsburgh who all have a similar vibe I find hard to put into words, but I dig it.


Thanks, Blake. I love that you mentioned Lanois' "Acadie". That was the very first CD I ever bought and man, I still listen that album. Such an underrated gem.

No comments: