Wednesday, July 17, 2013

First/Last-Hi-Life Wedding


"Hi-Life Wedding believe that music is a tool to help us break from the grinds of control. We believe music can be used to help ourselves and others feel something. This is a statement from two people to say that we are alive, we can think, act and feel for ourselves."

Check out the band at their official Website, Facebook and  MySpace. The duo is a self-described 'mac-free all live electronic grunge-pop' group and I want to thank Davos Broman (Keys/MPC/Vocals) and Kate Boehms (Bass/Vocals) for taking a few minutes to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Davos Broman: The Beatles “Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band”.
Kate Boehms: I always borrowed CD's from my parents at the start, so that would have included a steady diet of The Beatles, The Doors, Fleetwood Mac.
I think the first album I bought would have been Nirvana's “Nevermind”.


Your last album bought?
Dave: Frank Ocean ”Channel Orange”.
Kate: Paul Kalkbrenner, “Berlin Calling”... good movie too, check it out.


Favorite album of all time?
Dave: Smashing Pumpkins “Siamese Dream”.
Kate: No way, can't choose.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Dave: Counting Crows “Recovering the Satellites”.
Kate: I was a bit disappointed in the latest Hot Chip album. Their earlier stuff I liked so much. They had such a new and catchy sound, I still love them to bits.


First concert attended?
Dave: Regurgitator. Australian Music Month, Darwin High School basketball court.  Best moshpit ever.
Kate: No idea! My parents used to take me to lots. Maybe David Byrne? The first concert I went to by myself I think was George Clinton and Parliament. I was 13 and had no idea what to expect. It was wicked.


Last concert?
Dave: DJ Shadow. Luxy Nightclub, Taipei.
Kate: DJ Shadow came to play in Taipei while we were living there last year.


Favorite concert ever?
Dave: Radiohead, Sydney. ‘Hail to the Thief’ tour.
Kate: This one is a hard question too. It would be a close tie between Sonic Youth and Sigur Ros. Sonic Youth played at a smaller venue in my hometown and totally rocked it. Amazing energy and Kim Gordon is so cool.
If  you ever have a chance to see Sigur Ros play live, do it.


Least favorite concert?
Dave: Silverchair, 1998. 20,000 people paid good money to watch them play for less than 30 mins.
Kate: Eh, I'm sure there are a few where I should have stayed home.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Dave: A good friend from New Zealand married a girl from Pittsburgh. I know it's an old steelworks town, I like working cities. Looking forward to checking out the baseball stadium as I hear it's one of the best!
Kate: Never been to Pittsburgh. Looking forward to checking it out. Maybe some baseball... I hear you guys have a few bridges around town?

Thanks, Dave and Kate. Kudos for being totally independent and working your way around a foreign country. Must be extremely difficult yet extremely satisfying.

No comments: