Thursday, June 13, 2013

First/Last-Kevin Finn



"Kevin Finn is a musician, visual artist and poet. A native of Pittsburgh, PA, Finn has performed with many genre-defining artists, such as Six Organs of Admittance, Neil Halstead, Mark Kozelek, and Damien Jurado. Current collaborators include Greg Lagrosa, Langston Kelly and Zach Haras and Joy Brown."

Check out Kevin at his official Website, MySpace and Facebook. He plays the late show at Club Cafe tomorrow night celebrating 10 years of performing in and around Pittsburgh. I want to thank Kevin for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
“No. 10 Upping Street” by Big Audio Dynamite.

Your last album bought?
“The Seal of the Blue Lotus” by Robbie Basho.

Favorite album of all time?
S/T by Red House Painters.

First concert attended?
U2, ‘The Joshua Tree Tour’ at Three Rivers Stadium.

Last concert?
Emily Rodgers at Thunderbird Cafe, Pittsburgh, PA.

Favorite concert ever?
R.E.M., ‘The Green Tour’ at Civic Arena.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I think my favorite moment in Pittsburgh Music History was, this:
I gave a copy of ‘Grey Machinery’, a song from my 2005/2006 album, “Vessels” to Ben Chasney (Six Organs of Admittance) when he opened for Ghost at the Warhol. He just got off the plane from 'Frisco and was in a rush. But, we had met around 2003 when I opened for him at Modern Formations.
Fast forward to the Rangda show at Garfield Artworks, circa 2011. I asked Ben if he ever listened to the track, and he told me that he and the guys from Ghost listened to it all the time in the tour van.
Two of my favorite bands! I appreciated that.
And then, of course, hangin' out with Jason Molina a few times when he was in town with Magnolia Electric Co.

Thanks, Kevin. Congrats on the decade of playing.

No comments: