Wednesday, June 12, 2013

First/Last-Boom Said Thunder

 Saturday, June 15, 2013
Melwood

"Nov. 2010-Will and John form a band with guitarist Dave Weik (of Magarche) and loosely write 3–5 songs with substandard sound equipment in a vacant work room in the basement of their place of work. Tons of other shit happens. Feb. 2012-Boom Said Thunder plays their first shows in Somerville and Cambridge, MA."


Check out the band's official Website, Facebook, BandCamp, SoundCloud, ReverbNation and Twitter. The Boston band recently released their debut album, "Exist" and are stopping in Pittsburgh this Saturday for a benefit gig with a slew of other bands. My thanks to John Magnifico (FUZZ) for taking a few minutes to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
I didn't really start buying music on my own until a record shop called "Al-Bums" opened up in my hometown when I was around 12 or 13. Before that, I just listened to a bunch of classic tapes that my parents owned. I probably bought Aerosmith’s “Permanent Vacation” on cassette before anything else. On my 11th birthday, I received Nirvana’s “Nevermind” and it sort of changed what I started listening to after that.

Your last album bought?
Just picked up a couple 12" gems last weekend: “Danger Signs” by Penetration and the yellow “Gang of Four EP”.

Favorite album of all time?
Really tough question. Everybody who knows me knows I am a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan, that Siamese Dream album they made was pretty good, don't you think?

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Every Weezer album after “Pinkerton”.

First concert attended?
Smashing Pumpkins, 2000, Tsongas Arena, Lowell, MA. Loudest thing ever.

Last concert?
Just saw The Breeders 20th anniversary of the “Last Splash” album. Pretty awesome experience. Abby and I were both pretty big fans of the Deal sisters growing up, and to finally see them on stage playing some of our favorites was such a blast.

Favorite concert ever?
Been to so many shows lately it's hard to pin down one that stands above the rest. Maybe that first Pumpkins concert was my favorite and opened the floodgates to see so many other bands after that.

Least favorite concert?
Went to Lollapalooza in Chicago a few years ago. Saw a lot of cool bands, but Green Day was not one of them, unfortunately. Perhaps being 3 million rows back on a 95° day in a Grant Park that smelled like kitty litter had something to do with it.
Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I'm really looking forward to seeing all these cities on our tour route. Like Pittsburgh, we won't have a lot of time in any one place, but we're all excited to see some new places, say hi to some old friends, and meet new folks along the way.


Thanks, John. Enjoying the debut, man. Hope you get to check out a bit of our city...even though we are in the midst of an epic playoff rivalry at the moment.

No comments: