Monday, June 3, 2013

First/Last-Good Jeans


"Good Jeans is Derek January. This self-released five-song debut EP was written and recorded in 28-year-old January's bedroom over a period of six months. Most tracks feature bright synth lines over mid-paced dance rhythms, while the vocals act as a texture, floating and melting into the background, along with experiments into more psychedelic and ambient territories. Mentioned comparisons range from Depeche Mode to artists from the newer chillwave movement like Washed Out, both of which were a huge influence on these songs, along with 80s synthpop and 90s dream pop/shoegaze in general."


Check out the band at SoundCloud, Facebook and BandCamp. As stated above, Good Jeans IS Derek January and as he contacted me about helping to spread the word about his music, I am always grateful I have the opportunity to do so, especially Pittsburgh based music. I want to thank him for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Red Hot Chili Peppers' “One Hot Minute” and a live Nirvana album.

Your last album bought?
The Velvet Underground's 1969 self-titled album.

Favorite album of all time?
“Nowhere” by Ride. I'm actually very good friends with the bass player's son.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
It takes a lot for me to really not like something for some reason. I guess I always try to pick out the good things even if it may not necessarily be a "good album." Maybe Wu-Tang Clan's “Wu-Tang Forever”. It's not a "bad" album, but “36 Chambers” was so groundbreaking in hip hop that it's hard to not view the follow-up as a bit of a disappointment.

First concert attended?
Metallica in 1997. I was twelve years old. It was the first time I recall smelling weed.

Last concert?
The Killers in Toronto.

Favorite concert ever?
Roger Waters in 2006 for his ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ tour.

Least favorite concert?
Not an easy question because I've been to a lot of concerts and can't really remember one where I've had a bad time.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Seeing tons of great shows. Playing at Shadow Lounge. Crossing the bridge to my dorm at Duquesne from South Side at 2AM. Meeting and becoming friends with a lot of insane people.

Thanks, Derek. That's funny, the first time I smelt the dro was at a Springsteen show, 17 years before you did!

No comments: