Thursday, April 26, 2012

First/Last-Leland Sundries

 Photo courtesy Jennifer McManus

Sunday, April 29, 2012
Larryville

"Leland Sundries' new EP, The Foundry was released in February 2012. The band is the brain child of Nick Loss-Eaton who played guitar, banjo, harmonium, harmonica, and vocals on the EP. Their last record received praise from The New York Times, who declared “...dedicated to storytelling in a way that recalls Woody Guthrie and his Folkways brethren. [Their] scrappy Americana will get you longing for empty two-lane highways and kudzu-encased back porches."

The band is touring in support of the EP and stops at the T'Bird in Pittsburgh this Sunday on a bill with Weathered Road and Joan Hutcheson. Score your tickets here. Nick was nice enough to take a few minutes to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Hard to remember the first album I bought on my own. It was probably a Beatles tape or Chuck Berry's “The Great 28”.

Your last album bought?
I just picked up the new Ray Wylie Hubbard and a '90s Flat Duo Jets album in Saratoga Springs, NY while on tour.

Favorite album of all time?
It feels kind of cliché after the recent reissue, but the Stones' “Exile on Main Street”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
In high school and early college, I was getting way into Bob Dylan. He's one of the reasons that I play and write and I started picking up his catalog, mostly in used LPs, tapes, and CDs that I'd find. But I didn't know better and I was a completest so I picked up “Knocked Out Loaded” in the new tape cut-out bin at a Tower Records. One good song and otherwise utter shit. It's amazing that that man can be so brilliant one moment and so, uh, not brilliant the next.

First concert attended?
Paul McCartney, Foxboro Stadium, 1989. He and I share a birthday.

Last concert?
Other than tour openers, Spirit Family Reunion at Bowery Electric. They were amazing!

Favorite concert ever?
Oh man, hard to pick! Dylan 1999 in Amherst was amazing. Levon Helm's Midnight Ramble in 2009 in a snowstorm with the fireplaces going. The first time I saw Todd Snider. Ramblin' Jack Elliott at the Ruben unplugged with no PA. I can't pick just one.

Least favorite concert?
The Vines. They were clearly way too fucked up to play or sing or even stand up

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Never been but curious to explore it! I read ‘The Mysteries of Pittsburgh’ by Michael Chabon and I have an image of old brick factory buildings with tall smoke stacks and wondrous things happening inside.



Thanks Nick. You share a B-Day with Sir Macca, huh? That's cool. Small world, so do I! My brutha!

No comments: