Wednesday, April 25, 2012

First/Last-Greylag

Friday, April 27, 2012
Millvale

"Listening to Greylag's debut EP, The Only Way To Kill You, one can almost hear the relief pouring out of Andrew Stonestreet and Daniel Dixon's gentle, lilting harmonies and spare, acoustic guitar murmurs. Although new on paper, the Portland, Oregon-based band is the product of a multi-year, cross-country journey of friendship, emotional trial and self-refinement that while finally complete, is really only just beginning. In the past year, Greylag has worked at developing their home base in the Pacific Northwest, reaching sell-out status in their home town of Portland along with recent tours through the western US and Canada. This last fall, Greylag was part of the Gomez and Kopecky Family Band tour and is expected to support a few high profile tours in the first part of 2012.  Greylag's Debut EP, The Only Way To Kill You, is due for release on Ninth Street Opus Records in May 2012."

The band bring their music to Smalls this Friday opening for Augustana. Andrew and Daniel were nice enough to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
Daniel Dixon: The first album I remember buying for myself was The Cranberries’ “No Need To Argue”. I loved that sad stuff and had a major pre-adolescent crush on Dolores O'Riordan.

Your Last Album bought?
Andrew Stonestreet: I bought Dr. Dog’s “Fate” yesterday.

Favorite album of all time?
Daniel: That's almost impossible to answer-- but a record I never seem to tire of, that always feels right, is Fionn Regan's ”The End of History”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Andrew: Probably all of my favorite artists because I always wish there were more tracks on their albums.

First concert attended?
Andrew: I honestly can't remember. It was so early on in my life when I started going to shows and it’s all just a blur. The first one to leave an impression was probably Arcade Fire though.

Last concert?
Daniel: Besides the one we played last night? I think it was a show with a couple of great Portland bands called Wild Ones and Pure Bathing Culture.

Favorite concert ever?
Andrew: I remember thinking the most beautiful show I'd seen was the first time I saw my friends Sebastian & Catherine's band Come Gather Round Us. So many amazing ones though.

Least favorite concert?
Daniel: I don't usually stick around a show if it looks like I'm not going to enjoy myself.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Daniel: I played a show there a couple years ago, and a guy at an Italian restaurant told me he was going to spit in my food because I put my order in too late. He was joking, I think.
Andrew: Going to Pittsburgh was one of my earliest memories traveling. I have family living in Bethel Park and there's a fondness of my time there. It still lingers.

 
Thanks fellas. Can't wait to hear the full EP.

 

No comments: