Friday, October 1, 2010

First/Last-Cor Allen & Derek White


New Shouts
Mariage Blanc CD Release Show
Brillobox
Friday October 8, 2010
Larryville

So my buddies in Mariage Blanc are having a CD release bash next week (BTW-I have heard the album and it's so good!). Playing their first ever gig as support is a brand spankin' new band called, appropriately enough, New Shouts. They have a retro sound that should be blasting out of an AM radio circa 1974 and believe me that's a great thing. This will be one sweet show. Vocalists Cor and Derek were cool enough to participate in this, another duo edition of First/Last Friday.

The first album you ever bought?
Cor: The first album I ever bought with my own decision making was ‘Endless Summer’ by the Beach Boys. I still remember my Dad taking me to National Record Mart (RIP) to get it. I was probably 6 or 7 years old. I loved ‘Help Me Rhonda’, we had a neighbor called Rhonda so we’d always sing that song as a joke. Early Beach Boys stuff is great for kids, it’s so fun!
Derek: The first cassette I ever bought was Nirvana's "Nevermind", and before that I started on music when I was about 4, I was always intrigued by my parents records & 8-track tapes. I was instantly drawn to The Beatles. I was blown away by the Red/Blue collections how one side of the album they we're young and the other side John Lennon had a crazy beard goin’ on.

Your last album bought?
Cor: I just got The La’s ‘The La’s’ on vinyl to hang on my wall.
Derek: Grapefruit 'Around Grapefruit'.

Favorite album of all time?
Cor: The Beach Boys ‘Pet Sounds’ and I don’t need to explain why, it’s the best ever and it’s obvious.
Derek: The Beatles "White Album", a lot of entertaining stuff going on in that oversized album.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Cor: This is a tough one because you tend to forget about these…There’s a few albums that are always listed in the greatest albums lists that I just can’t justify their greatness…one is Love’s ‘Forever Changes’, it’s got nice arrangements but the songs don’t do anything for me. I’ve always read great things about it but there’s nothing memorable to me on that album.
Derek: I agree with above, I love the album art. For me the "most disappointing" would be the 2004 remake of Brian Wilson's 'SMiLE'. It ruined the myth. I guess I'm happy he did it because we got a nice documentary out of it as well as a tour. I could never get over the idea of what SMiLE could of/would of been if it were completed in 1966. I like how it was known for being the greatest unreleased album of all time.

First concert attended?
Cor: I went to see Three Dog Night with my parents when I was a kid, their singer is called Cory, you know, so that gave me some incentive as a kid to like them, which I still do.
Derek: I think it was Aerosmith at Civic Arena, I remember them being great, this was sometime in the early 90's.

Last concert?
Cor: I don’t go to a lot of big concerts, just don’t like them in arenas or pavilions, there’s no magic. I think the last one I went to was a Beatles tribute on 4th of July. It was hot as hell and outside, I have no idea how they survived in their black suits and wigs but they were spot on! Last local show I saw was The Slow Reel, who I really like.
Derek: Paul McCartney which is still crazy to say.

Favorite concert ever?
Cor: I saw Blur in 1997 at Metropol. I was 15 and in my own little world. I thought I was the only person in America who even knew who this band was so it felt amazing po-going with so many people singing ‘Parklife’ at the top of our voices. After the show I found their tourbus and stood by the door. Damon came to the door and stood there only a few feet away from me, he opened the door and ran out and I chased him down Smallman St. I have no idea what I was even planning to do had I caught up with him but he jumped in a car and took off.
Derek: I don't know, I'm waiting to be blown away, Steve Wonder has come close, & Paul McCartney.

Least favorite concert?
Cor: Ugh, so many! I went to see this band from England called The Music open for the Vines and I remember when the Vines came on, my girlfriend at the time and I were getting totally squashed by the crowd, we had the bouncers at the front help us over the barrier and we just left after probably their second song.
Derek: I saw Todd Rundgren at the Rex once. That was a huge let down. He was on some arena rock trip, he had his guitar ran through some lousy chorus pedal. He's one of my favorite artists/producers...but the show was a drag.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Cor: Right now in Pittsburgh I think there’s the nicest group of bands that there has been since I’ve been involved. Everyone is so supportive of each other. The other great thing about this city is that everyone is just doing what they love. No one is trying to fit into any kind of scene or copy the current hyped trend. I read some national reviews of Pittsburgh bands where they are criticized for that, as if the bands here are “out of the loop” or something. That’s just not the case. Everyone here is well aware of the current fads, we just don’t care because we’re doing what we love, and I love that about Pittsburgh.
Derek: I love Pittsburgh. When I compare it to other cities bigger & smaller I realize that we've got more to offer. Pittsburgh has amazing ethnic foods, real people, and several cool towns/bars. Pittsburgh has crazy hills and bridges, a lot of character and history. We have all seasons which the city wears well through each change. I love eating a maple pecan ice cream cone from Rose's while strolling through Frick Park. Yeah man, Pittsburgh rules.


Thank guys. I can't get that image out of my head of Damon Albarn running for his life in the Strip District from some crazed 15 year old. Awesome! Good luck on the gig.

No comments: