Wednesday, July 27, 2016

First/Last - Whitney Ann Jenkins and her Platonic Guy Friends

Image courtesy Whitney Ann Jenkins

"Originally from the picturesque landscape of West Virginia, Whitney Ann grew up in a household that nurtured creativity. Her father, Junior, would play guitar in his knowledge of seeming solitude and she would hide around the corner and listen with admiration. Her love of performing resulted in soaking up every opportunity that presented itself."

Whitney Ann Jenkins and her Platonic Guy Friends is an Pittsburgh based folk rock band lead by singer-songwriter Whitney Ann Jenkins. With their 2105 release Down Stage Left, the band play out all over Pittsburgh and Whitney will be playing a solo spot this upcoming Sunday (7/31) at Pittsburgh Winery opening up for Planes on Paper from Washington State. I want to thank Whitney for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
I think... Patsy Cline. I was intoxicated by her raw emotion.

Your last album bought?
The Lion by Benjamin Scheuer. I bought it after I saw his show at City Theatre in Pittsburgh. Incredible guitarist--like no one I've ever seen, and such a beautiful songwriter and storyteller.

Favorite album of all time?
Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks or Joni Mitchell's Blue, it's a coin toss.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I don't think I've ever listened to an album thinking I was disappointed in it. If I don't like something, I turn it off...

First concert attended?
My parents took me to see Wynona Judd. The first I really remember remember was Elton John.

Last concert?
Meghann Wright and The Sure Thing. My band and I opened for her and she's the real deal.

Favorite concert ever?
Grace Potter! She's such a babe and a rock star. And I was amazed at the span of generations of the crowd, both younger and older enjoying it just the same. I think that says a lot about a "newer" artist.

Least favorite concert?
I went to see Dave Mason in Los Angeles because my friend knew him personally. It was a small venue but there were only about 6 of us there. It was really uncomfortable. But also as a musician, a good lesson. Sometimes the crowd may be sparse but that doesn't mean you perform at a level less than if you were playing a sold out stadium show. An audience member is an audience member and they all deserve the same.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Beyond the top ten lists and sports fanaticism, Pittsburgh has a lot of potential. It's exciting to watch it transform and embrace change and make its mark on the world.


Thanks, Whitney. As a music fan, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the notion that a musician should attempt to give their all onstage, no matter how many people show up.

No comments: