Monday, March 28, 2016

First/Last - Boy Wonders


Boy Wonders is the moniker of lo-fi indie popster Derek January. He just released a sweet three song self-titled EP which you can snag over at BandCamp. I want to thank Derek for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.



The first album you ever bought?
Red Hot Chili Peppers' One Hot Minute and a live Nirvana album.

Your last album bought?
DIIV Is the Is Are. Gonna be dope seeing them at Spirit in May.

Favorite album of all time?
Nowhere by Ride. I'm actually very good friends with the bass player's son.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
It takes a lot for me to really not like something for some reason. I guess I always try to pick out the good things even if it may not necessarily be a "good album." Maybe Wu-Tang Clan's Wu-Tang Forever. It's not a "bad" album, but 36 Chambers was so groundbreaking in hip hop that it's hard to not view the follow-up as a bit of a disappointment.

First concert attended?
Metallica in 1997. I was twelve years old. It was the first time I recall smelling weed.

Last concert?
Disappears at the Warhol museum. They played Bowie's Low in it's entirety. Was sike.

Favorite concert ever?
Gotta be Paul McCartney. I'm a huge Beatles fan. So naturally I cried like a baby the minute he walked on stage.

Least favorite concert?
Not an easy question because I've been to a lot of concerts and can't really remember one where I've had a bad time.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I also play guitar in Devin Moses & The Saved, and we are fortunate enough to play lots of cool shows and over the last year have kind of become part of this little scene of bands. So I've met a lot of interesting people and made a lot of new friends, simply because of a shared appreciation for music and creation. It's a good feeling.

Thanks, Derek. Love the EP.  I have to say, you seem very normal. I guess that 'Devin Moses Effect' hasn't really kicked in yet?

No comments: