Friday, July 18, 2014

First/Last-Trevor Howarth

Trevor Howarth is a songwriter from Pittsburgh. I am honored to have him help me celebrate ten years of HughShows today and thank him for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Celine Dion's "Let's Talk About Love" when I was seven years old. It featured that song ‘My Heart Will Go On’ from the Titanic soundtrack and as a child I was obsessed with that movie.

Your last album bought?
Frankie Rose's "Interstellar".

Favorite album of all time?
A tie between a few. Elliott Smith's "Either/Or", Joni Mitchell's "Blue", or Pavement's "Wowee Zowee".

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Animal Collective's "Centipede Hz". I was a big fan of that group from “Sung Tongs” all the way up until “Merriweather Post Pavilion”. And even though MPP wasn't the greatest in my opinion, I saw the value in it. When “Centipede” came out I just lost hope in any kind of return to a more organic and natural sound from the group. Who knows though? They always tend to surprise everyone.

First concert attended?
Good Charlotte with openers New Found Glory and Less than Jake when I was 12 years old.

Last concert?
Mac Demarco at Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland. I got to meet him beforehand and it was an amazing and incredibly energetic show. Practically his entire band crowdsurfed at some point.

Favorite concert ever?
Either the Mac Demarco show or another one I saw at Beachland Ballroom 2 years ago, Deerhunter with opener Real Estate. Deerhunter was touring for “Halcyon Digest” and Real Estate was just releasing “Days”. Both bands were blissful live and Deerhunter was getting better and better (I had already seen them twice).

Least favorite concert?
The second time I saw Minus The Bear. They were drunk and awful. Kind of dicks too.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life and some thoughts I have on it are that it's a great place to be but not a great place to stay. My personal experiences here have, in part, been some of the most memorable and warm times, but also, in part, led me to start planning my move out to Oregon next August.

Thanks, Trevor. I have never heard of a successful show when the players are drunk. That's is a shame.


No comments: