Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Remember A Day

R.I.P Rick Wright
(1945-2008)
I usually limit my posts to Pittsburgh related music musings but I would be totally remiss if I didn't mention his passing due to the overwhelming influence his music had on me growing up. Sure, Roger Waters was Pink Floyd in many peoples opinions. Still, there was something about Wright's songs that hit me early on in my initial discovery of the band. "Remember A Day', 'It Would Be So Nice', 'Paintbox', "Summer '68", 'Great Gig In The Sky', and 'Us & Them' will live with me forever. The heartbreak of the piano in 'Nobody Home' is absolutely devastating. I will always treasure riding to Ohio for a Floyd show in '88 and being drawn like a zombie to the man playing the opening chords of 'Echoes'. Shine on indeed brother.

No comments: