Thursday, August 4, 2016

First/Last - The Hang Lows

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/32379_10151111246663424_36217050_n.jpg?oh=13c81d1f99ae639d8bb076030c622b59&oe=5817D93F

"No Front Man. No Eye Makeup. No Labels. No Boys in Girl Pants. No Pop Disney Bullsh#t.
Disgruntled with the business of main-stream music, the Hang Lows dance to the beat of their own drums and offer their music for free (or pay what you want).
Songs about getting old, fornication, drug abuse, philosophy, and of course their own genitalia are well represented."

The Hang Lows are a Pittsburgh based ska-rock band who's latest album MIX TAPE was released last April. Taking cues from Long Beach Dub Allstars, Bob Marley and Sublime, the band fuse elements of reggae, folk, rock, and punk to create an adult oriented style of original music. I want to thank bandleader Dominic Bartolomucci for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last. 



The first album you ever bought?
Temple of the Dog was my first CD. I think Kiss Destroyer or Queen's A Night at the Opera were my first records.

Your last album bought?
The Lion. I just met this guy and he is amazing.

Favorite album of all time?
Way too hard of a question. Sublime 40oz to Freedom is probably a safe choice. I can still listen to it after about a million times.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Neil Young's  thing he did of old folk songs was pretty awful and I usually like him.

First concert attended?
Monsters of Rock (GNR, Metallica, and Faith no More). My parents wouldn't let me go so I hitched a ride and stood outside the stadium listening.

Last concert?
Hopefully that won’t be for a long time....

Favorite concert ever?
SNUFF/Less than Jake at Laga, circa 1998.

Least favorite concert?
I played a show that no one showed up for about a million times. They are always my least favorite :)


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Life is a series of desperate highs and lows, of amazing beauty and beastly horror. Pittsburgh's music scene is a lot like that too. The people are awesome, the business end is pretty soul crushing. :)


Thanks, Dom. Your first concert brings back memories of my older brother and his friends taking me down outside of Three Rivers Stadium shows in the mid-Seventies to listen.

No comments: