Tuesday, February 3, 2015

First/Last-The Me Toos


"The Me Toos are a collaboration of three diverse and talented musicians from Pittsburgh that generate a blues-based sound that can only be admired and not compared.
The Me Toos have played with national acts such as Chicago's The Right Now (soul/pop) , Baltimore's Kelly Bell Band ("phat blues"), and shared a bill with Leon Russell at the Pittsburgh Ribs on the River Festival. Being a part of the Pittsburgh music scene, TheMeToos have had the opportunity to headline shows with up-and-coming local acts such as Coronado, Chrome Moses, Delta Hand, Sephus Lee , The Color Fleet, among others.
The band won Gorilla Production’s Battle of the Bands in 2010 which earned them a recording deal for their full length album, “When Wilkes Met Barre." The band has also released an EP, "All My Creatures" this past summer.
The Me Toos were created in 2008 by guitarist/singer Jesse Baldoni and bassist Ben Vivio. Long time drummer Tom Pashby's recent departure gives the band the opportunity to introduce to you Kevin Koch. They are very excited to say the least.
The Me Toos’ distinct blend of blues, rockabilly, pop, garage, and rock n’ roll will be sure to keep you on your feet!"

The Me Toos are keeping busy this week in Pittsburgh. They have a show on Thursday (2/5) at the Thunderbird Cafe and then hit up the Smiling Moose on Friday (2/6). Much thanks to my man Kevin Koch (Drums) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
The Beatles: “A Hard Days Night”.

Your last album bought?
Andre Costello and the Cool  Minors: “The Rattling Arcade”.

Favorite album of all time?
The Who's “TOMMY”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
The Decemberists: “The Tain” (I want my 18 minutes back).

First concert attended?
R.E.M. ‘Monster Tour’ '95 at the Philadelphia Spectrum.

Last concert?
(Touring) Jeff the Brotherhood w/ Diarrhea Plant and Shaky Shrines as openers.
(Local) Wreck Loose with Crystal Lee Morgan and Devin Moses and The Saved at Thunderbird Café.

Favorite concert ever?
The Who 97' ‘Quadrophenia Tour’ at Camden E Center. Guided By Voices '01 at the Oakland Beehive Pgh (it's a tie).

Least favorite concert?
Oasis '98 Camden E Center (I was young and foolish).

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I have so many, but today as I write this is the Super Bowl and it reminds me of the day that I officially became a Pittburghian. Let me explain . . . Flash back 6 years ago to the  Southside on Superbowl Sunday, Steelers Vs. Cardinals . . . which also was the day I was moving into my new apartment on 22nd and Sarah. Because it was a Steelers Superbowl, no one showed up to help me move, so I get everything packed and drive into the Southside to be greeted with no parking and crazy drunks everywhere. I'm pulling my truck up on the curb right next to my front door (the only place to park) and as I hop out I am greeted by 7 big burly yinzers walking down the street. They asked what I was doing and I explained that I had to move in solo today. Next thing I know, all 7 guys are jumping into the truck, handing each other boxes and helping me move in!! We got all my belongings in my place in 15 minutes flat! They all started laughing and giving me high fives and I slipped them 2 beers a piece for being so cool. One of them even handed me his Terrible Towel and said, "Welcome to the Southside brother! Go Steelers!" It was the beginning of my love affair with this awesome city.

Thanks, Kevin. Along with playing in Steelesque, can I bestow upon you the title of 'Hardest Working Drummer in Pittsburgh!'?

No comments: