Tuesday, February 10, 2015

First/Last-As Ladders

"As Ladders is a singer-songwriter from a small city. He writes, records and performs. This effort is the first sincere attempt to reach a broader audience. Enjoy. ".. the singer-songwriter format is nothing more than a person, an accompanying instrument, and a song. It exists entirely without instrumental superfluity. Singer-songwriters, therefore, maximizes their capacity to connect on a human level. As Ladders embodies this principle and represents a perfect distillation of the player-listener emotional exchange." -Chasing The Chords

As Ladders is the moniker for Pittsburgh indie-pop singer-songwriter Mike Berginc who released his fantastic debut EP "Yarns" last year. I want to thank him for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
First album ever was, “When I Woke” by Rusted Root. The album’s single, ‘Send Me on My Way’ was my jam!  I’ve grown to appreciate this choice very much.

Your last album bought?
“Five Years of Fireworks” CD/DVD by Grand Buffet. This has everything I like about an independent release. The live DVD has show footage, interviews and comical extras. It’s a real treat. The guys threw in an album, “Shark Tank” by Sharktank, which is a very cool side project.  Worth it.

Favorite album of all time?
My favorite album of all time is the one that made me want to play music, “Through Being Cool” by Saves The Day. It’s powerful and sincere. Personally, this one album opened up long-lasting friendships and a sense of place throughout my life. It was fresh the day I heard it and still resonates with me.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
My most disappointing album goes out to those who care about Kanye West. I being one, found his album “808s & Heartbreak” confusing. I still think it is, but that’s why Kanye is great.

First concert attended?
My first concert attended was with Blink-182, Bad Religion and Fenix-TX at Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh, PA on June 7th, 2000.

Last concert?
The last concert I attended was here, at the Thunderbird in Lawrenceville, to see Bastard Bearded Irishmen, BARONS and The Beagle Brothers. Great rock show!

Favorite concert ever?
My favorite has to be the most memorable. There was a music festival here in Pittsburgh’s South Side Works called New American Music Union in 2008. How about that for a name?! I have not heard or seen of a two-day summer line-up like it since: Bob Dylan and His Band, The Raconteurs, Spoon, The Roots, Gnarls Barkley and The Black Keys. It also showcased the region’s best college bands. Unbelievable!

Least favorite concert?
My least favorite has to be the least memorable. Kings of Leon were supposed to play Pittsburgh twice and cancelled both times on non-consecutive years. I bought tickets both times.  It’s a curse. I still dig their music and would love to see them live.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I think one day young folks will brag to their kids, “But, I was there man!”

Thanks, Mike. I wholeheartedly agree on the New American Union Fest. Although, I didn't even bother with the main stage, I thought the college stage was fantastic!

No comments: