Friday, August 9, 2013

First/Last-Wreck Loose


"Piano driven garage rock pop from Pittsburgh."

Check out the band at Facebook, Twitter and Bandcamp. The band just dropped it's debut recording, "Well", last week. I want to thank Max Sommerville (Piano/Vocals), Nathan Zoob (Guitar/Backing Vocals), Dave Busch (Bass/Backing Vocals) and Derek Krystek (Drums/Backing Vocals) for taking a few to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Max Sommerville: Linkin Park “Hybrid Theory”.
Nathan Zoob: “Tommy”, by The Who.
Dave Busch: Metallica ”Ride the Lighting”.
Derek Krystek: "Stunt" Barenaked Ladies.


Your last album bought?
Max: Ryan Adams “Jacksonville City Nights”.
Zoob: ‘Man of La Mancha Original Broadway Cast Recording’ (it was for a thing. You know what, fuck it, that's some good shit right there).
Dave: Alt-J  “An Awesome Wave”.
Derek: "Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust" Sigur Rós.


Favorite album of all time?
Max: Rickie Lee Jones “Rickie Lee Jones”.
Zoob: “Tommy”.
Dave: Mars Volta “Deloused in the Comatorium”.
Derek: "Age of Adz" Sufjan Stevens.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Max: Lil Wayne - The Carter 4.
Zoob: Hard to say--probably “It's Hard” by The Who. Boy that was disappointing.
Dave: The last MGMT album.
Derek: "No World for Tomorrow" Coheed and Cambria.


First concert attended?
Max: Sting.
Zoob: The Who at Madison Square Garden in 2000. I'm sensing a theme.
Dave: Live w/ opener Luscious Jackson.
Derek: Rush, 1996.


Last concert?
Max: St.Vincent and David Byrne.
Zoob: Father John Misty.
Dave: Alt–J.
Derek: Mewithoutyou.


Favorite concert ever?
Max: Elvis Costello.
Zoob: I like a lot of different shows for different reasons. I saw Simon & Garfunkel in 2003 which I never thought I'd get to see. They were amazing. Likewise with Jeff Mangum just recently. I was also blown away by St. Vincent and Grizzly Bear, both of whom taught me more about guitar tone than I realized I had left to learn.
Dave: Seeing a West African influenced band with all traditional instruments at Ortliebs in West Philly.
Derek: The Receiving End of Sirens.


Least favorite concert?
Max: Bob Dylan.
Zoob: I've seen some dogs, but why name names?
Dave: Coheed & Cambria, IUP, Ohio Room.
Derek:  Third Eye Blind - Stage AE.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Max: I love the history in Pittsburgh. When I think of the city I think of tradition and the warmth of people getting together.
Zoob: I'm an immigrant to this town. I grew up in NYC and moved here for school. The scene in Pittsburgh is so nurturing and so full of undiscovered gems--I don't think I'll ever be able to pay back the debt I owe to the many musicians who treated me like family when they had no reason to. I came here a snob, but I found a home.
Dave: Pittsburgh is one of the most vibrant places for arts and music. I've been to many cities and have never seen such a place with diversity like the ‘burgh. A fond memory I have of Pittsburgh is sitting atop the West End Overlook with good friends being overwhelmed with the intensity of the rivers, city scape and thoughts of gratitude about where I am.
Derek: The University of Pittsburgh basement show (literally underground) music scene held the best experiences of my musical life. I remember one night after finishing a set around midnight, the entire basement turned in to a jam session dance marathon. I stayed behind the drums as a number of local musical talents took turns switching from guitar bass and keys and we jammed hard for at least 3 hours. The mass of friends, party goers and fellow musicians danced, jumped, clapped and chanted without a worry in the world! I'll never forget the those nights, being immersed in music.


Thanks, fellas. I am totally diggin' the album. Can't wait to see you play soon.

No comments: