Wednesday, August 14, 2013

First/Last-Silent Party


"Silent Party are a new band from London consisting of singer Mike Goward, guitatist Chris Douch, bassist Dan Blatchford and drummer Luke Graham. Since forming the band have been busy writing and recording, honing their signature sound that combines sonic intensity with classic pop sensibility. Jealousy, bitterness and paranoia pervade the itchy and schizophrenic 'Taxidermist'."

Check out the band on Facebook, SoundCloud and YouTube. They have recently released their debut single, "Taxidermist", and I want to thank Michael Goward (Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
The first album i bought was a wrestling album in which ‘Macho Man’ Randy Savage performed a rap, I loved it. The first proper album I bought was Blur, “Modern Life is Rubbish”.

Your last album bought?
I just started collecting vinyl so I’ve been going a little crazy rec”ently. This weekend I bought  Blondie’s “Parallel Lines”, Kid Creole and The Coconuts’s Off The Coast of Me” and most importantly, Meatloaf’s “Bat Out of Hell” (It was only a quid!)

Favorite album of all time?
The Beach Boys’ “Pet Sounds”, Spiritualized “Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space”, Super Furry Animals’ “Radiator”, The Flaming Lips’ “Soft Bulletin”, Nick Cave’s “The Good Son”... there's so many!

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
“Chinese Democracy” was pretty bad, wasn't it!

First concert attended?
My mum was a big Jam and Style Council fan so she took us to a festival Paul Weller was playing at when I was 11. I saw loads of britpop bands someone tried to sell me drugs and I think we took a picnic, it was frightening and exhilarating.

Last concert?
I saw Aluna George recently.

Favorite concert ever?
Chris and I from the band have seen Brian Wilson a couple of times in the past few years and it just doesn't get much better. Watching a couple of hours of all the great music he wrote is actually quite emotional.

Least favorite concert?
Our least favourite gig we ever played was at a charity gig in Bristol. The gig was fine but we had been booked into a hostel that night and when me and Luke our drummer arrived back at the hostel a frightening man threatened to kill us if we got close to his bunk bed. We slept in the car.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
William Pitt, the bloke that Pittsburgh is named after is from down the road from me and one of the classes at mine and Chris' school was named after him.

Thanks, Mike. I love discovering new music. You definitely got that Pittsburgh connection, buddy!

No comments: