Tuesday, August 6, 2013

First/Last-Bo and the Locomotive


"Momentum is on Bo and the Locomotive’s side. In just over a year, they have successfully created a following out of nothing. Originally a solo project, Bo and the Locomotive has re-emerged as a full band from the city of St. Louis with a fire in its belly. They combine familiar feeling tunes with off-kilter melodies, balancing on the edge of traditional and experimental. They specialize in making you feel happy, sad, apart, and together all at once – making their live show captivating, if not addictive. With several tours in 2012 to support their self-recorded debut full-length On My Way released in July of 2011, garnering love from Paste, Daytrotter, and European radio. On the cusp of the release of their second album, Bo and the Locomotive is poised to take on the challenges of notoriety that they have been working so hard to achieve."

Check out the band at their official Website, Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud and BandCamp. Continuing my coverage of the Paste 50 States Project, I head to Missouri with Bo and the Locomotive. My thanks to Bo Jackson (Guitar/Vocals) for taking a few to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
The Beach Boys' “Greatest Hits” on cassette.

Your last album bought?
“Best of Lou Reed” on vinyl.

Favorite album of all time?
Nightmare question... but currently, I'll narrow it down to “Alopecia” by Why? and “On the Death of Science as a Major World Religion” by a band that doesn't exist anymore from Jacksonville, Florida called The Cadets. Or maybe Timber Timbre's self-titled album. Or “Pet Sounds”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
The last couple Strokes albums.

First concert attended?
First concert of my choosing was Presidents of the United States of America at Liberty Hall in Lawrence, Kansas in like 1994, I was probably 9. Man I loved that ‘Peaches’ song.

Last concert?
I could say two nights ago at the show I played, but that's stupid. I think the last concert of my choosing that I wasn't a part of that I was super excited about was Charles Bradley here in St. Louis.

Favorite concert ever?
Built to Spill up close at a smaller venue in town when I was 19 probably had to biggest impact on me musically. I'll never forget the way Doug Martsch played guitar that night. The first time I saw Delta Spirit play to an empty room also hit me in the gut.

Least favorite concert?
Man I've gotta go with Bright Eyes a couple years ago. I was pretty excited having never seen them before and I just didn't like it.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
It's hard to be a big baseball fan from St. Louis right now and have anything nice to say about Pittsburgh, so I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks, Bo. I feel ya on the 'Pirates' sting. We've been feeling that way for 20 years.

No comments: