Thursday, March 14, 2013

First/Last-Carl Parsons


I have been doing this blog for nearly five years now and there have been many times when people come up to me at shows and recognize me and actually acknowledge what I do for the Pittsburgh music community. It has always been such a great experience for me as everyone has always been too cool. The majority are musicians but occasionally I will get the average fan who will make a point to introduce themselves and believe me, I sincerely appreciate it. Carl was the very first person to do so back at the MOIP/GNS gig outside the Warhol (I think? Or was it at Station Square? Carl would probably know better exactly which show it was). Regardless of the date, I have never forgotten how nice it was for me for him to do that and since that first meeting, we have seen each other many, many times at concerts all over the city. In honor of what that meant to me, I asked Carl to participate in this edition of First/Last, not because he bought me a beer at the Harlan's show he mentions, but because he is a super sweet dude and a friend of mine.

The first album you ever bought?
The Ghostbusters' Soundtrack.

Your last album bought?
I bought Ziggy Marley's new live album "In Concert" the same day as I pre-ordered a Seattle band called BOAT's new album "Pretend To Be Brave”.

Favorite album of all time?
Every time I read one of these I always have answers for all of the questions except this one. I'm gonna say The Rolling Stones' "Exile On Main St.”, The Grateful Dead's "American Beauty”,  and Bob Marley & The Wailers' "Babylon By Bus”. The Beastie Boys' "Check Your Head" and Modest Mouse's "Lonesome Crowded West" need mentions too. Bob Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited" is pretty darn special too.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
There's beauty in everything. I always can find something that I enjoy on every album that I listen to.

First concert attended?
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers on The Wildflowers' Tour in '95 at Blossom in Cuyahoga Falls, OH. My big sister took me.

Last concert?
I just saw one of Pittsburgh's finest, The Harlan Twins at Howlers this past weekend. As for non-local shows, I saw a group called WHY? at The Altar Bar back in October.

Favorite concert ever?
I've seen so many great shows, but the one that I'm always excited to tell people about is seeing Rage Against the Machine and The Wu-Tang Clan in '97 at Blossom in Cuyahoga Falls, OH. I had a pit ticket and I stood almost front center of the stage on the fence the entire time. Zack de la Rocha is intense.

Least favorite concert?
This is almost like least favorite album so I'm gonna go with a show that didn't happen that bummed me out. I had tickets to see The Beastie Boys and Rage Against the Machine in '00 in Columbus and Mike D went and wrecked his bike and dislocated his shoulder and they had to cancel the tour so he could have surgery. Rage went on to break up a couple months later.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
As a fan of music, I love that Pittsburgh provides me with so much joy. I've had the fortune to meet so many talented and incredible musicians here in Pittsburgh who are all just really genuine people, and some of these folks I feel very fortunate to be able to call my friends. I've also had the fortune here in Pittsburgh to see just amazing local show after local show. How blessed we are. Great musicians, great venues, and great photographers named Hugh. Thank You My Friend. Peace.


Thanks, Carl. Pittsburgh deserves more music fans like you, buddy! See you soon, I'm sure.

No comments: