Monday, March 18, 2013

First/Last-Tyrone Wells

Tuesday, March 19, 2013
Southside
 
"The recording of This Love found Tyrone Wells in the studio on and off throughout most of 2012. Tyrone teamed up again with producer, Michael “Smidi” Smith. Smidi produced nearly half of Tyrone’s sophomore major label release (Universal Republic) entitled, Remain, as well as being responsible for 7 of the 8 songs on Tyrone’s acoustic EP Metal & Wood.

About This Love, Tyrone says, “I did my best to make a mostly acoustic record. I always find myself listening to acoustic music, so I did my best to build the record around the acoustic guitar and make an organic sounding CD that I would enjoy listening to. Smidi was the perfect choice to produce this record. Smidi does a fantastic job of not getting in the way and helping really serve each song.”

Coming off of his full length release, Where We Meet, in early 2012, Tyrone anticipates great things for This Love. Where We Meet debuted at number 1 on the iTunes singer-songwriter chart, as well as top 10 on the overall iTunes chart."

Check out Tyrone at his official Website, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter. He stops in Pittsburgh tomorrow night at Club Cafe touring behind his latest release, "This Love", with support from Brendan James and Brett Young. My thanks to Tyrone for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
I think it was a record by the band Petra... way back in the day.

Your last album bought?
Ben Howard.  A singer-songwriter from the UK.

Favorite album of all time?
A tie between: “Living with Ghosts” by Patty Griffin and “Fulfillingness' First Finale” by Stevie Wonder.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
All of the albums that Stevie Wonder released in the last two decades.

First concert attended?
Rich Mullins.

Last concert?
The Swell Season.

Favorite concert ever?
Stevie Wonder at the Forum in LA.

Least favorite concert?
I saw Soundgarden right before they broke up the first time. It was utterly uninspired...seemed like they were going through the motions and couldn't wait for it to be over...I kind of felt the same way.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Well... because I am originally from Seattle, WA the mention of Pittsburgh would always kinda break my heart. See, your Steelers beat my Seahawks back in the only Superbowl the Seahawks ever made it to (Superbowl XL, 2006). But I no longer hold it against the fine people of Pittsburgh...well maybe a little...but my touring through Pittsburgh and the warm reception I have received, has removed the sour taste left in my mouth by the bitter defeat. Another thing, I hardly see any red brick in Southern California where I live now, and there's something strangely comforting and nostalgic to me about red brick buildings...so Pittsburgh feels inviting to me.


Thanks, Ty. Still smarting from the Seattle Super Bowl loss? Bummer. Don't fret. Between you and me, I always thought that game was rigged anyway.

No comments: