Friday, February 8, 2013

First/Last-Almost Astronauts

Saturday, February 9, 2013
Southside

"........Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away (Pittsburgh PA, 2007)…….. David ..(The Maneuver).. Peters was searching the depths of the music world for a singer/songwriter to help create the exact indie/alternative sound that defined the essence of his influences. As luck and karma would have it, Jeremy Gray had recently moved to Pittsburgh after spending 10 years in New York City recording and touring with the alt/rock band ..Kilgore Trout... At the time of his arrival on planet Pittsburgh, Jeremy was writing and recording music for film and Showtime's ..Brotherhood.. series. Dave found Jeremy's desperate call for rescue from studio isolation on the www, and after a few cold beers at Rockefeller's, they became fast friends and musical symbionts. They immediately began to push each other in new directions and the toil in "The Capsule" (McKees Rocks studio) started to pay dividends. The basic sound of AA was defined and the material began to crave some low end to round it out. Coincidentally, Jeremy moved into a house 100 yards away from his original guitar teacher and best friend Craig ..(Low End).. Morrison. With little to no convincing, Craig started frequenting The Capsule. Eventually drummer Chris Gibbs, a former member of ..Kilgore Trout.., was brought in to fill out the lineup and began his seamless assimilation into the crew. We welcome you to come along on this musical journey that the four members of Almost Astronauts have just begun… to infinity and beyond, of course."

Check out the band on ReverbNation, Facebook, MySpace and Zazzle. They are headlining the early show tomorrow night at Club Cafe and want to thank Jeremy Gray (Vocals/Guitar) and Dave Peters (Piano/Keys) for taking a few moments to aprticipate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Jeremy Gray: R.E.M.’s “Murmur”, but my mom gave me a stack of Beatles and Funk albums along with a shitty single speaker record player that I listened to in my room since I can first remember. The earnest and stark anti-pop lyrics Michael Stipe rattled off in a stream of consciousness has stayed with me for life.
Dave Peters: Bloodgood, "Out of the Darkness". Very obscure Evangelical Christian Heavy Metal (don't ask).


Your last album bought?
Jeremy: Matt & Kim, “Grand Daylight” is more addictive than crack, I love that shit.
Dave: DIIV, "Oshin".


Favorite album of all time?
Jeremy: Obviously hard query.....like my life, I think I have different chapters and the album changes with the chapter. Pin me down, I have to go with…Nirvana, “Nevermind”. The 90's were a lot of fun.
Dave: Keith Jarrett, "The Koln Concert" and Radiohead, "OK Computer" (tie).


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Jeremy: “Vampire Weekend”. I dig one or two tracks but the rest just missed me.
Dave: Recently, I'd have to say Rosie Thomas, "With Love". I miss the old Rosie.


First concert attended?
Jeremy: Husker Dü at the old Syria Mosque.
Dave: U2.


Last concert?
Jeremy: Frightened Rabbit. (Love that band. listening to them right now).
Dave: The Joy Formidable (amazing).


Favorite concert ever?
Jeremy: Easy, Pearl Jam at Bogart's in Cincinnati on March 30th, 1992. “Ten” had come out about three weeks before. No one ever heard of this band and my roommate had just gotten back from a trip to Seattle and he said, “Hey dude, we have to check this band out. Everyone is all about them out West.” Me and four of my friends paid $5 at the door and crowd surfed with Eddie all night .I think there were about 300 people there. It was magnificent. I have never seen Pearl Jam live again, nor do I want to. That concert was perfect. Here is the setlist.
Dave: Frightened Rabbit and Minus the Bear (tie).


Least favorite concert?
Jeremy: Toad the Wet Sprocket in Oxford, Ohio c. 1994. Passed one around before heading in and was bored to tears. Left half way through.
Nothing is worse than a band plays it completely safe and sounds exactly like the record while standing like statues.
Dave: Ray LaMontagne. Disappointing...he seemed like such a dick.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Jeremy: I love the ‘burgh. I lived and toured out of New York City with Kilgore Trout for 12 years but in my mind, Pittsburgh has always been home. People are nice here. They hold the door for old ladies and say “Bless you” when you sneeze. What more could you ask for?
Dave: I'm pretty keen on the O'Reilly Theater, pierogies, Sarafino's (Crafton), Pitt athletics and taking left turns as soon as the light turns green.

Thanks, guys. I totally agree with you on Vampire Weekend, Jeremy. I just don't get what all the fuss is about about them. To me, they are unlistenable.

No comments: