Tuesday, November 6, 2012

First/Last-The Ohio Weather Band

Saturday, November 10, 2012
Larryville

 "The Ohio Weather Band is a 3-piece rock and roll outfit from Alliance, OH. The band members include: Corey King (guitar and vocals), Pete Childerson (drums) and Derek Strata (bass). OWB was recently named one of the area’s “Best Unsigned Bands” according to an article in Buzzbin Magazine. They’re set to release their debut album, “Wear These Bones” in November."

The band crosses the border to perform at Hambone's this Saturday supporting Peter Terry & the City Profits. My thanks to bandleader Corey King for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
One of the first albums I can remember listening to is Tom Petty's "Wildflowers". Before school I'd always rock out on ‘You Wreck Me’ off of that album. I still have it too.

Your last album bought?
My most recent purchase is Jack White's "Blunderbuss" on vinyl. It's great.

Favorite album of all time?
This is near impossible to answer but for now, I'm gonna go with "Heartbreaker" by Ryan Adams.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I really try to find something I like in everything I listen to and I usually end up succeeding.

First concert attended?
My first real concert was Blink-182 & No Doubt.

Last concert?
I think my last concert that wasn't a festival was Good Old War at Beachland Ballroom.

Favorite concert ever?
Probably Bright Eyes at The House of Blues or in NYC, I can't pick.

Least favorite concert?
Similar to the aforementioned response on my least a least favorite album, I just like seein' stuff happen live, especially music.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I've explored Pittsburgh once. While on tour as a solo acoustic performer, I played a gig at this one place (I won't mention the venue or person running it) and the booker/promoter was a dick and very unaccommodating. Not that I expected anything from him but at least a little hospitality or answering the door when I knocked for about five minutes. Then when he finally did answer, after we stood around forever, he told me, "you should have knocked." But, it worked out because I got to meet Jay from The Hawkeyes and Brad Yoder who also were on the bill. Both are great musicians and people. Other than that, I had a great time in PItt and it seems like a swell place. I'm looking forward to comin' back with the band.

Thanks, Corey. Bummer about your experience with that promoter. Glad it didn't taint your perspective of our city.


No comments: