Friday, November 2, 2012

First/Last-Fist Fight in the Parking Lot

Friday, November 2, 2012
Larryville

"Fist Fight in the Parking Lot   Verb.   \if you can’t pronounce this one, we have problems\
 1. A song written by Fred Armisen for a skit from Saturday Night Live called ‘Band Reunion at the Wedding’ where Ashton Kutcher and Dave Grohl do a tribute to hardcore punk with their mock band Crisis of Conformity.
 2. An Innervenus rock band formed in 2009 right here in the ‘burgh. A female fronted foursome, this band will rock your face off with their modern take on a vintage sound and captivate you with their stage charisma.
      Fist Fight in the Parking Lot is the type of band that you can take your girlfriend to see and she won’t be tearing at your hoodie to leave after the first song. Comprised of Jason Sichi, Johnnie McCallough, and Chris Ruane (MojoFilter, Venus in Furs) along with Abby Krizner (Motorpsychos), this band’s hard hitting sound is certain to catch in your ear like a fire to kindling.  Their gritty, raw and moving sound has built an energetic, passionate following of fans all around Pittsburgh and into Ohio where they have actively played during the past year.  The stage commands attention when they perform on it, and you will be enticed to keep listening. Come out and give a listen for yourself!"

The band is working on new music and plays Kopec's tonight in support of this year's self-titled debut. I want to thank Abby Krizner (Vocals/Guitar) and Chris 'Ru-Dogg' Ruane (Drums) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Abby Krizner: I was a weird kid, so the first selection I made with my own money was to buy a copy of a live Elton John album. Might have been “Live in Australia”. All I can remember was it was the first time I'd hear the song ‘60 Years On’ and it just stuck with me.
Chris Ruane: “Freeze-Frame”, The J. Geils Band.

Your last album bought?
Abby: Baroness, “Yellow & Green”. It's a departure from the Baroness I was used to, but I think they've challenged themselves on this record and I completely respect what they accomplished.
Chris: Van Halen, “A Different Kind of Truth”.

Favorite album of all time?
Abby: I'd have to say Radiohead's "OK Computer."  It totally changed the way I listened to music.
Chris: Metallica, “Master of Puppets”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Abby: Ah, gotta go with the old standby and say Metallica's "Load" was pretty disappointing. (And clearly I've never let that go!).
Chris: ???.

First concert attended?
Abby: I was pretty young for my first show. I think the first was when my parents took me to see the aforementioned Elton John since I seemed so into him. It was his ‘Dueling Piano’ Tour with Billy Joel.
Chris: Van Halen, 1993 at Star Lake.

Last concert?
Abby: Band of Skulls, Mr Smalls Theater...AWESOME!
Chris: Rush, ‘Clockwork Angels’ at The Consol.

Favorite concert ever?
Abby: Queens of the Stone Age, House of Blues for their self-titled album anniversary tour a few years ago. I've never smiled so much in my life :)
Chris: N/A.

Least favorite concert?
Abby: Ugh, got dragged to see fun. WORST experience ever and I was surrounded by screaming tweens.
Chris: N/A.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Abby: I'm happy that so many more national bands seem to be adding Pittsburgh to their tour stops! On the local level, I feel like I've been seeing such a wide range of different and unique bands in the city.  Certainly no complaints about variety in the area!


Thanks, guys. I wouldn't know which would be worse Abby? Screaming tweens or listening to fun. Both together??? Nightmare for sure.

No comments: