Wednesday, November 7, 2012

First/Last-Dazzletine

Thursday, November 8, 2012
Shadyside

"Several years ago I met two people who swore that they heard us before. I was like, “No way, you weren’t even born!” and they said, “No, I MADE you!” Sounded a little strange and I looked at the guy/girl with his hat backwards like he was crazy. But, no sir. He wasn’t crazy. He was Right. He took us, the band was with me then, to a factory in the middle of our city where they made memories long forgotten or just remembered and took us to his boss. I introduced myself, “Hi, I’m Dan Ko…” “Dazzletine! I knew you would dress like this! Sit down”. Stunned, I asked, “Hey, you do’ya know me and my name ain’t Dazzletine or what ever its Dan Ko…” Again I was interrupted, started to get me a little m… “I laugh at your statement, child. You are a child. That is for sure. We are all children. Look at this city. Look at my hands” They were covered in some kinda dust, weird. “This is from rock. From rocking. You see? We all need Volume, child. We need light and sound! Here Come The Babes!” Whoa, what, yeah, seriously. “You ain’t no street skipper or back breaker or note taker or soup stirrer or snake charmer or farmer or baker or maker or shaker you are DAZZLETINE! You are Dazzletine” The factory workers all stopped doing whatever it was they were doin before and looked at me with their sooty faces and started in, “You are Dazzletine. You are Dazzletine. You are Dazzletine…” Over and over musta been thousands of people chanting now, “You are Dazzletine…” kinda scared but then the place got real bright with colors and the soot turned into things and they grabbed hold of us chanting louder hands covering our faces millions of hands darkness then brightness brightness brightness brightness and the sun and the moon and day and night and happy and sad and sick and healthy and girls and boys and sisters and mothers and fathers and friends and lovers and good and bad and life and death and morning and night and dawn and dusk and twilight and starlight and noon and midnight and teatime. Forever.”
This is for YOU. I am another yourself."

A year ago next week marks the first time I was lucky enough to lay ears and eyes on one of my favorite Pittsburgh bands, the outrageously 'glamorous' Dazzletine. If you are unfamiliar with them, check out their debut EP, "Heart, Mind, Bodies" in all it's bombastic glory! If you need to see them live, as you definitely should, they are playing a 'house' gig tomorrow night at The Baum Shelter. This band truly rocks and I want to send out my sincere appreciation to Dan Koshute (Guitar/Vocals) for taking some time to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
Green Day, "Dookie" (on cassette).

Your last album bought?
John Houx, "Get Ancient" and Angel Olsen, "Half Way Home". Incredible records.

Favorite album of all time?
The Smashing Pumpkins, "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" and Jeff Buckley, "Live At Sin-e" [Legacy Edition].

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Anything from the boxes of free records that Jerry's gives away. The ones they leave outside their door that you're just supposed to take and can't look through. I always get excited thinking I'm going to find some rare/awesome record but end up finding my box full of 7 copies of The Village People. (I did, however, find an original T.Rex 45 once but it was unplayable).

First concert attended?
Vans Warped Tour 2000 at the I.C. Light Amphitheater. Saw Jurassic 5, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Green Day and heard Papa Roach from the parking lot as we were leaving to my friend's dad's car.

Last concert?
David J at Thunderbird.

Favorite concert ever?
U2 at Mellon Arena in 2005, Sonic Youth at Three Rivers Arts Festival 2003, Andrew Bird at Three Rivers Arts Festival 2006, Girls at Mr. Small's 2010.

Least favorite concert?
Robert Randolph at Gateway Plaza, downtown 2006. Bizarre experience. The stage was completely set-up (mics, amps, etc.) and a huge crowd of hundreds of people are amassed and ready for the show. But after a half-hour/45 min. passes past the time it was scheduled to start, a crew member finally gets to the mic, embarrassingly, and explains that the show is canceled because Randolph and the band are stuck in New Jersey!

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Home
.


Thanks, Dan. I have to say, I listen to your album ALL the time and have been an idiot in not seeing you play more often. Will rectify that for sure in the future, buddy!

No comments: