Tuesday, August 7, 2012

First/Last-Prison For Kids

Photo courtesy of Aida Daneshvar
 
"Prison for Kids contrasts softly soaring dreaminess and garage rock
aggression. The duo consists of Christopher Dreisbach and Cesar Ochoa.
Dreisbach grew up in St. Johnsbury, VT, while Ochoa was raised in Juarez,
Mexico. The two met at the American Film Institute Conservatory as
directing students. Their eclectic taste in music and film bound them
instantly."

The guys have just released a new single, 'Low Fevers' from their forthcoming LP. My thanks to Christopher Dreisbach and Cesar Ochoa for taking a few minutes to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
César Ochoa: I bought a compilation called “The Beavis and Butt-head Experience” when I was 10 or 11. It ruined my life (for the better!)
Christopher Dreisbach: I can’t remember my first tape anymore. My first CD was Boyz II Men’s “Cooleyhighharmony” but the first CD I bought myself was Alanis Morissette’s “Jagged Little Pill”.

Your last album bought?
César: “The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads” and Hepa/Titus, “Vol. 2”.
Chris: I picked up Fiona Apple’s “The Idler Wheel...”. My birthday just passed and César got me Captain Beefheart’s “Lick My Decals Off, Baby” and Swans’ “My Father Will Guide Me up a Rope to the Sky”. Three amazing, intense LPs.

Favorite album of all time?
César: Today my favorite album is Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel's “Hole”. Usually, it's a battle between “The White Album” and Mr. Bungle's “Disco Volante”. I can't really pick one...
Chris: A three-way tie between “Treasure” by Cocteau Twins, “Laughing Stock” by Talk Talk, and “Washing Machine” by Sonic Youth.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
César: I was having a conversation about this a few days ago and I can't say that I think too much about a least favorite record. Having said that, Guns N’ Roses’ “Chinese Democracy” is the most baffling record I've heard. I heard most of the songs when the album came out and didn't understand it at all. I listened to it again a few days ago because a friend asked my opinion of it, and since I couldn't remember much except that it sounded like Michael Bay got a hold of Pro Tools, I had to hear it again to make sure. It was a mistake to hear it again, no hooks, no ‘Stones-y’ twang and looseness of the guitars like what Slash and Izzy would do, the cheesy power ballads. My biggest impression from it is how overbearing and totalitarian it sounds. Completely devoid of soul, and of course it got good reviews.
Chris: Hmmm...maybe Lulu? Disappointing for sure. Least favorite? It’s hard to rank music I don’t like because I don’t like to listen to it.

First concert attended?
César: Santana with my Dad.
Chris: My mom dragged me to many little folk shows as a kid but my first “real” concert was Laurie Anderson in Burlington, Vermont circa 2001.

Last concert?
César: The Melvins playing at Subliminal Projects and then the Hammerhead, Helios Creed and Hepa/Titus show at the Echoplex in Los Angeles. Amphetamine Reptile galore.
Chris: The Jesus and Mary Chain at a horseracing track in Los Angeles. No joke.

Favorite concert ever?
César: Either The Melvins playing in El Paso, TX in 2002 on the “HAT” tour or The Jesus Lizard at the Henry Fonda Music Box in 2010. Both had incredible energy and played perfect sets. I hugged David Yow and his sweat transmitted images to me that I'm still trying to decipher.
Chris: Either that Laurie Anderson concert or Pavement and Sonic Youth at the Hollywood Bowl. The sound was wonderful.

Least favorite concert?
César: A talent show at my high school, but that's a bit unfair I guess. I've avoided bad concerts as much as I can and forget the names of the bands that played bad.
Chris: Hard to say. Fellow audience members ruin shows for me more than bands do. It’s hard for me to not root for the band.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
César: Never been to Pittsburgh, though I really would like to learn to speak Yinzer.
Chris: My only experience with Pittsburgh is watching ‘My So Called Life’. I’d love to visit and, hopefully, play a show there someday.

Thanks, fellas. It's not THAT hard to speak yinzer, just don't try by studying 'My So Called Life'.

No comments: