Thursday, August 23, 2012

First/Last-'The Essentials' Meeting of Important People

Friday, August 24, 2012
Millvale

"Meeting of Important People is an indie pop band from Pittsburgh, PA. The band’s 2009 debut album on the Authentik label was named a top release by many blogs and radio stations, including influential station WYEP-FM. Their pleasant collections of creepy suburban indie-pop songs and high-energy live show grew to reach listeners world-wide, and the band is now proud to celebrate the August 2012 release of their 2nd full-length album (tentatively titled "My Ears Are Having a Heart Attack"), an eclectic mix of new songs chock-full of twists and turns. The band has recorded with producer Brian Deck (Modest Mouse, Iron&Wine), has starred in a heavily-viewed cardboard city music video, traveled extensively, gained airplay on terrestrial and satellite stations, and has shared the stage with renowned artists such as Ok Go, The Secret Machines, David Bazan, Dean & Britta, and Sam Roberts Band. Their recordings have recently been re-pressed onto vinyl for 2011 release by legendary garage label Get Hip, many MOIP songs have also been featured on E's KEEPING UP WITH THE KARDASHIANS, MTV's TEEN MOM, THE REAL WORLD, and JERSEY SHORE, web series OFF-BRAND, and CBS' THE GHOST WHISPERER, among others-- if you listened hard enough. MOIP keeps the loud parts loud, the pretty parts pretty, and the people happy."

If you read this blog, even casually, you know my fanboy geek love runs awfully deep for this band. They are celebrating their (FANTASTIC!) CD Release show tonight at Smalls, bringing along Pet Clinic, Great Aunts, and Texture Ballet for support. This will be one fun time. My thanks to the guys, Josh Verbanets (Vocals, Guitar), Aaron Bubenheim (Vocals, Bass) and Matt Miller (Vocals, Drums), for taking a few to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
Josh Verbanets: Aerosmith's "Get A Grip" purchased with allowance money.
Aaron Bubenheim: Lynyrd Skynyrd, “Gold and Platinum” on cassette.
Matt Miller: A collection of Mozart's greatest when I was 11. Bought it with my paper route monies.

Your last album bought?
Josh: I bought a vinyl copy of Billy Joel's "52nd Street" because I had been listening to that Weird Paul album where he replaced famous Billy Joel lyrics with words about eating cake.
Aaron: “Led Zeppelin II” at a yard sale.
Matt: “Funeral” by Arcade Fire.

Favorite album of all time?
Josh: "Love It To Death" by the Alice Cooper Group.
Aaron: “Red Headed Stranger” by Willie Nelson.
Matt: OK Computer. Changed everything.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Josh: I threw "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd the f*ck out of my car window.
Aaron: I hate all the last couple of albums by Jack White projects, although I haven’t listened to this latest self-titled thing yet. Beatles albums always disappoint me. I bought “Rubber Soul” recently and I hated it. Haha!
Matt: “Ava Adore”, The Smashing Pumpkins.

First concert attended?
Josh: U2 ‘Pop Mart’ tour at Three Rivers Stadium in 1996-7.
Aaron: President of the United States of America, 1995 tour. They played outside at Station Square. Ironically PUSA was also my second concert when I saw them a year later at Metropol.
Matt: Phil Collins in 1994.

Last concert?
Josh: I caught Greg and Liz (of Lohio) opening for the guy from Super Furry Animals. He was showing a slide-show with maps of Europe in the 1700's and stuff.
Aaron: Pet Clinic at Brillobox a week and a half ago. Major bands? I think it was The Black Keys years ago.
Matt: Arcade Fire at Red Rocks, 2007.

Favorite concert ever?
Josh: Saw The Vines at a little club in Buffalo New York in 2002 when their first record was big. The only concert I have ever seen where I didn't want it to end when it did.
Aaron: That first Presidents show is still BY FAR my favorite concert... Ever. Period. I like my music linear I guess.
Matt: Arcade Fire at Red Rocks, 2007.

Least favorite concert?
Josh: Iron and Wine at the Palace Theater in Greensburg a few years back.
Aaron: I saw The Decemberists at Bonnaroo once and I thought they were the most pretentious band I have ever seen.
Matt: Smashing Pumpkins in D.C., 1999. Forget the venue. Some ball room.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Josh: My friend Matt Miller claims to know every street in this town.
Aaron: I like it here but I’ve never lived anywhere else so maybe I’m biased. Haha!
Matt: Helping my pap make fishing sinkers from scratch, keeping them in a tin coffee can, and spending summer mornings under the Birmingham Bridge trying to catch Mon River trout.

Thanks, fellas. This new album is really great! Tonight will be a blast!

No comments: