Friday, February 17, 2012

First/Last-Elephant Micah


In 2010, my favorite album was an EP from the lo-fi folk band Dark Dark Dark that really rocked my world hard. One of the highlights from the release was actually a cover tune called 'Wild Goose Chase' from a kindred spirit in everything spare, Elephant Micah. Elephant Micah is a rotating band of musicians from Indiana headed up by songwriter Joseph O'Connell. They have a new limited edition vinyl album called Louder Than Thou out that has been in heavy rotation in my house recently. Some fantastic stuff. Joe was cool enough to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
I bought some R&B cassette singles in the early '90s.  I also remember borrowing tapes that
included MC Hammer and Metallica, and listening to them on a dictaphone type recorder.

Your last album bought?
Marmoset's ‘Tea Tornado’?  Actually, maybe a tape of Bruce Hornsby and the Range.

Favorite album of all time?
Richard and Linda Thompson's ‘I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight’ or Joni Mitchell's ‘Blue’.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I can't remember any cases of having a strong negative reaction to a record off hand. 

First concert attended?
Not sure what counts.  I went to Farm Aid when it was in Louisville.

Last concert?
I saw Vollmar the other night.

Favorite concert ever?
Possibly hearing Filthy Bird for the first time at a Greensboro apartment show.

Least favorite concert?
Possibly performing in a tiny, dirty basement in France that masqueraded as "wine cellar" while enduring strep throat.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Gigging with Gregg from Girl Talk when were probably about 21 years old.
Aside from that I mostly think of the joke in the Marx Brothers movie.  A woman blows smoke in Groucho's face, and he says, "this is like living in Pittsburgh, if you can call that living."

Thanks Joe. I love the 'home-made' sensibilities of the the physical product as well as the music. Please drop a line if you ever make it to Pittsburgh.

No comments: