Saturday, December 18, 2010

First/Last-Martin Rubeo

Gramsci Melodic
The Hop House
Saturday December 18, 2010
Greentree

Taking a short break from the 2010 album advent countdown to do what I like to do best and focus on a local artist by previewing their gig tonight. Gramsci Melodic has been around for a few years now and delivers a high energy set that mixes all kinds of genres and styles. It's also worth noting that the band has the coolest mascot going! This is their last show of the year and my man Martin was nice enough to participate in this installment of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
Well, this sounds way too cool, but it is true. The first tape I bought was “Appetite for Destruction”. That said, had you asked me about my second purchase, I would have come across decidedly less-cool. My second tape was “Please Hammer Don't Hurt Them”.

Your last album bought?
Bought or downloaded (am I kidding?) - I have been on a big Flaming Lips kick, so I got the remastered “Soft Bulletin”. Also, I got Atomic Tom (of iPhone/NYC Subway Performance fame).

Favorite album of all time?
Tough for me to ascribe "All Time" to my selection since it changes every few years at most. I would say that any of the following fit the bill for me: They Might Be Giants "Severe Tire Damage", Lou Reed "Transformer", Ween "Chocolate and Cheese" or "White Pepper", Ben Folds "Songs for Silverman".

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Well, to make this list would imply that I like the artist in general, so it is still somewhat complementary I suppose. Any Phish albums after “Farmhouse” (or even “Billy Breathes’) would fit the bill.

First concert attended?
Guns 'N Roses/Metallica/Faith No More at Three Rivers.
2nd - Aerosmith at Star Lake.

Last concert?
Ben Folds at Metropol (or Club Zoo or whatever they named it this week).

Favorite concert ever?
They Might Be Giants or Ween - anytime I have seen them they are head and shoulders above any other concert experience.

Least favorite concert?
Morphine - although it was one of their last shows before that guy dies on stage in Italy - I know I should be respectful, but the show put me to sleep. I felt like I was on morphine.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Hmmm, I think that my thoughts are that the Pittsburgh music scene is loyal but late to the party. Actually, I was late to the party too (we didn't start playing live until 2008), so I mean no disrespect with that comment.


Thanks Martin. I have to admit, I have never heard any Ween in my life. The people who love them REALLY love them so I might have to remedy that pronto.

No comments: